Concealed shower valve - silicon around outer edge of backplate?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Starnzy, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Starnzy

Starnzy New Member

Hi all.

I’m new to the forums. I’m currently having my bathroom redone and the tiling has just been started. We are having a concealed manual valve at the foot of the bath on a tiled wall and also a concealed shower valve in the shower. The room is being tiled floor to ceiling.

Upon inspecting the tiling job that has been done so far today, the area of tiles where the concealed manual shower valve is to be located is very uneven. The centre of the valve area overlaps 4 tiles due to the way in which the tiles have had to be laid through that side of the room and these four tiles are not all level with one another I.e I wouldn’t be able to lay a rule/spirit level flat across them. So my concern is that the nice modern flat backmplate to my concealed valve won’t sit flush against the tiles. I spoke to the tiler one the phone and he said it won’t be a problem because there will be silicone all around the back plate so you won’t see any unevenness?!

Looking on google images I don’t see any concealed shower valves which have visible sealant around the outside edge of the backplate.

Am I missing something here? I would expect there to be some silicone applied behind the back plate mating it up against the tiles but not around the outside edge?

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Post some pics please.

3. Starnzy

Starnzy New Member

Doesn’t really show it very well. There is more of a difference in profile between the adjoining tiles as the photo shows.

Attached Files:

4. Looks like the tiles are very uneven. Might need to post more pics

5. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Dynamite and start again!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

I’m not being funny but are they ‘split face’ tiles ?

If not, that actually looks like the effect achieved :eek:

What is behind the tiles and what prep was done to the wall prior to tiling. ie, plaster board, tile backer / cement board, plastered wall, other

Just wondering how flat and even was the wall prior to tiling. A pro tiler can deal with an uneven wall, levelling out with extra tile adhesive as he/she works

A less skilled tiler should always start with a wall as flat as a snooker table

What’s the rest of the tiling like

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Hi Miriam. Welcome this forum. This is actually a UK based forum so although some of the principles of plumbing will be similar to the USA, fittings and techniques will differ.