Concealed toilet leaking when flushed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Wayne Kerr, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Wayne Kerr

Wayne Kerr New Member

I have a concealed pneumatic toilet that has been working fine but just lately when either button is pressed to flush, water runs down the tiles at the front. I removed the front panel and it seems when flushed there is a lot of splashing, like a mini wave, that splashes onto the rear of the front panel and then runs down the tiles. Any one any ideas how to rectify? It’s a newish build flat only a couple of years old.

2. Is it the fill valve? Sometimes the spout comes off or splits

3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

My money’s on the flush cone - where the flush pipe goes into the back of the pan.

4. Most common thing definitely. I thought he meant from the cistern but u are most likely right.

5. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. If its the flush cone, the water is going upwards to come onto the tiles, assuming the tiles are above the pan.
    2. I'd check (in order):
    2a. Inlet valve per pppmacca43.
    2b. The cover of the cistern - the one that comes with it, not any decorative tiling / boxing. Many flush valves give a splash once operated. The cover usually deflects any splashes back into the cistern.
    2c. The flush cone.

6. Wayne Kerr

Wayne Kerr New Member

I’m not sure how the flush cone could be the culprit as the water is splashing out where the flush buttons are. If I flush it with the front plate hanging forward you can see the small bellows make a lot of splashing as they rise. Should there be some kind of splash plate or seal on the rear of the front plate do you think?

7. I would guess it’s the fill valve spraying out the way you have described it

8. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Had a similar problem a while back, as dcox suggests, turned out to be the flush cone, rubber gaiter had deformed under pressure, cistern needed lifting 10mm and a new gaiter, job done.

9. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Do you mean there’s water in the bellows that are part of the flush button? Should only be air in there.

just pumps likes this.
  10. Wayne Kerr

Wayne Kerr New Member

No not water in the bellows but as they are ‘pumped up’ the plate underneath brings water up that splashes onto the back of the actuator plate and then runs down the tiles. Not sure how I’d access the flush cone as it’s all tiled in.

11. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Forget the flush cone. Now you’ve described it more it can’t be that.

12. Like I’ve said before, the fact it only happens when you flush it and it’s enough water to go down the tiles suggests it’s the fill valve in some way or another causing the issue

13. DPB

DPB New Member

Try isolating the water to the toilet ( service valve ) or turn off main stop cock. Open cold water taps to drain water out of the pipe work/raising main. Flush toliet, if the leak has stopped then issue fill valve. Based on the information so far l agree with pppmacca43.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.