Concealed toilet problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PHILPH, Jun 5, 2019.

1. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi

Could I ask for some advice please, however I think I'm clutching at straws and I'm trying putting off what I think I have to do!

Just fitted the cabinet the other day and went to fit the cistern and pan etc, and here lies the problem!

The front of the unit is slightly out of plumb and when the loo is pushed against the facia panel there's a gap of about 5mm between the loo and panel , I know I should have possibly scribed it against the floor to make it plumb but didn't think at the time.

Any quick fixes or solutions?

It's not the end of the world, apart from trying to remove the cabinet is I screwed it and also used some mastic which could be a bugger to get it off.

Any advice, mind I'm not a Plumber as you've probobly guessed!

Regards
    Phi

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well I guess that 5mm could be lost with a bead of silicone between loo and panel but, if it’s similar build to mine, the top just sits on the cabinet so that would also throw the top out

Guess you could pack out the top underneath to level, just depends if this is it a stand alone unit or any other units either side ?

You’ve got the gut feeling that this ain’t right and your never gonna be happy with it whilst it’s on the wonk so ........ whaddya do ?

3. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Take it off the wall and start again perhaps?

Thought it might be the case, and I suppose it's not the end of the world, only lost a day doing it so as long as I don't damage it getting it back off I'm not too miffed about it.

I'll take it as a lesson to do it right first time!

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Once you've got it off, throw the whole lot in a skip and fit a traditional toilet with a lever operated cistern instead. Concealed
    cisterns are the work of the devil. Just have a look at how many queries there are on here from people with problems caused by
    them.

But as you won't, I'd definitely remove the cabinets and get them properly aligned. You'll feel much happier about it in the long term
    and it won't niggle you every time you go for a pee!

DIYDave. likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What’s the wall surface that the unit sits against ?

Craft knife slid between unit and wall will gradually cut through silicone and a wallpaper scraper to encourage

It will come off without damaging the unit, just work sensible and don’t attack it with a sledgehammer :eek:

More likely damage to wall surface but again, that depends on what you’ve got there - good luck