Concrete fence post life expectancy

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by mbiker, Mar 27, 2020.

1. mbiker

mbiker New Member

Hi,

I need to replace my fence and I'm thinking about replacing it with concrete fence posts and wooden fence panels. However, I read that the concrete fence posts are prone to cracking if not made properly (wet cast?). If they crack and the metal rod gets exposed the post pretty much needs to be replaced.

Here in Scotland it's really difficult to buy concrete fence posts and rock face concrete gravel boards. However, I've found a supplier from Lancashire (Welch Fencing) that would be able to deliver them at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, the supplier doesn't offer any warranty on the posts or gravel boards. The posts are wet cast which I read somewhere are inferior comparing to strongcast?

Is it worth buying these concrete posts instead of 4x4 wooden posts from a local supplier? I'm aware that in order to extend the life of a wooden fence post it's best to treat it with some engine oil, bitumen paint and put some gravel underneath.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I have them and many of my neighbor's. My first lot were put in around 1998 and more in 2002. People need to keep hole just big enough then it's an easy to swap if needed.i have one bust but it's ok after digger hit it with building work, and a few not vertical from ground movement but I'm sure they are all good for many years yet.

mbiker likes this.
  3. mbiker

mbiker New Member

Thanks for a reply. When you say you and your neighbors have them, you mean from the mentioned supplier?

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Use concrete repair spurs and timber posts, costs a bit more but you have the look of timber and the longevity of concrete in the ground.

mbiker likes this.
  5. mbiker

mbiker New Member

Thanks, I did consider this but thought 4x4 timber would last longer with 6ft fence panels. Would you use 4x4 with a concrete repair spur? The only place I get them locally is Wickes. They have them only one size 75mm X 100mm X 1200mm and therefore seem to be made for 3" posts.

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I wouldn't use a 3 inch wooden fence post, useless.
    The wickes ones will be fine with 4 inch.

mbiker likes this.
  7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Just had a quick look at suppliers and 75x100 appears to be the go to size. My local timber yard is £9.60 a spur

mbiker likes this.
  8. mbiker

mbiker New Member

I looked everywhere here in Lothian and Wickes seems to be the only one that stocks them (twice more expensive than your ones).

I take it it's best to place them on our garden side rather than the other? There's a path between neighborhoods on the other side. Could someone unscrew the panels if the spurs would be placed on the path side?

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Given a choice I would point them out the garden, you can have the mushroom head on that side and the bolt on yours, if your worried but it would be easier to climb over than un bolt the panel

mbiker likes this.
  10. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

4 x 4 posts take a 4" x 4" x 4 foot spur. I still have a 3 x3 in garage bought and still not
    used 3 years odd later.

mbiker likes this.
  11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Mine came from fencing supplies but next door got theirs from building merchant. I've never considered who manufacturers these posts, and if any are better quality. I figure fencing supplies is best bet.

mbiker likes this.
  12. chillimonster

+1. I regularly visit a builders merchants for other stuff but fencing materials always come from a proper fencers' merchant.

13. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

You could use 6 x 6" posts. Should last 20 years.
    But they are heavy.

14. chillimonster

Got to train up for them bad boys. My last time was 4 years ago, required 12 foot , weighed about 12+ 1/2 stone each.

masterdiy likes this.
  15. mbiker

mbiker New Member

To get this size I would need to order them online and pay a lot for the delivery.

5 x Concrete Repair Spur 4′ x 4″ x 4″ from here would cost me £65.70 for posts + £59.95 delivery and that's probably not even VAT inclusive.

Is there so much difference comparing to Wickes 75mm X 100mm X 1200mm?
    Wickes ones are at least a bit longer so they can be placed deeper into the ground. I would imagine they are both reinforced with the same amount of bars?

16. chillimonster

morning mbiker, I tried to google without success if there was a reason the bigger spur is hard to get up your way.
    They're the same length, 1200mm is more or less equal to 4 foot. I bought some last month for £11.77 each. Maybe the
    harsher climate attacks the reinforced metal more. ( I always thought plasterboarding with filler and tape instead
    of plastering was more common in Scotland again for climate /curing reasons).
    I saw the other firm offered no warranty.
    I would have a look around locally, if I didn't see any unsplit 4" x 4" spurs I would be swayed to buying Wickes smaller
    size . That might split too but it would have been cheaper and lighter to manhandle .

mbiker likes this.
  17. mbiker

mbiker New Member

Sorry chillimonster, you're obviously right regarding the 4 foot size and thanks for the advice.

I did research last year and phoned a lot of local builders merchants. They all said they would need to source the concrete fence posts from England which would be very costly and that was in addition to very high price of the concrete posts. I couldn't understand why concrete fence posts are not that popular, especially in such a harsh climate. I mean the lamp posts are made of concrete :) My understanding was that if made and installed correctly, the concrete fence posts should outlast the timber you can currently get (I read about timber that lasts for 30 years that was treated properly 30 years ago :)?

Just to let you know - after days of searching, I finally found a Scottish manufacturer who actually makes the concrete posts but is only dealing with civil engineering and house building companies. The quote I got through those companies was still more expensive (£38 per post, £26 gravel board) than getting the concrete posts and concrete gravel boards from Welch Fencing.

I run some numbers for 5 posts and the rest of the materials:
    1. Timber posts + concrete + gravel + timber gravel boards + liquid rubber = £235
    2. Timber posts + Wickes 75mm concrete repair spurs + concrete + timber gravel boards = £265
    3. Timber posts + 100mm concrete repair spurs (inc. delivery) + concrete + timber gravel boards = £300
    4. Concrete posts + concrete rock face gravel boards (all inc. delivery) + concrete = £281

There's not much difference between the options. Since the replacement is time-consuming I would rather pay a bit more and do it once rather than replace it again in 5 years.

Which option should last the longest? Which one would you go for? Would you still prefer concrete spurs over concrete posts?

18. chillimonster

Concrete posts are hard to get dead vertical unless you do them a lot , I don't. The panels will want replacing a lot
    sooner in harsher climate and exposed windy location. Nothing worse that fitting new panel 5 years down the line
    that's bigger ( only by few millimetres ), panel's rain heavy, it's windy, you're working alone, and you can't get them started in
    the concrete posts' grooves. Or you've set the posts a little too far apart ( only by few millimetres), and they rattle in
    the wind after fitting which reduces their life.
    Concrete posts and gravel boards are the longest lasting combination but seems there is a climate problem with them
    where you are. If concrete posts spall and crack couple of years down the line they're real hard going to get out
    and replace. Concrete gravel boards are no fun on your own or even you and a pal who's not a fencer.
    The Scottish manufacturer's house building clients will almost certainly use professional fencers instead of
    their own company builders for speed. The fencing will look good to the prospective homeowner. The homeowner
    will employ fencers if there are future repairs and be non the wiser how difficult concrete post and gravel board
    can be.
    Without knowing your abilities, wind loading , soil conditions, I would go for number three but do the liquid rubber bit
    too. Rubber has been used last 6/7 years ? bit early yet but I can't see the harm. Don't paint the bottom of the post.
    All the posts I've ever dug out very few are rot at the bottom, all rot just under ground level. My opinion.
    I did previously say maybe 75mm spurs but the new price is only £35 more for 4" x 4", for that you get
    more ballast and more surface area against your 4" x 4" timber post.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    mbiker likes this.
  19. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I'd go for option 3 from an ease of handling perspective. However the length of concrete spur sticking out of the ground is almost as exposed to severe frost as a full length concrete post. I'd never use wooden posts straight into the ground if I can avoid it, far too many rot off at ground level eventually although this can be delayed with rubber or bitumen.

mbiker likes this.
  20. mbiker

mbiker New Member

Would you paint the posts with liquid rubber rather than spurs?

Since it's a new fence I take it the post would hang on the spur rather than touch the ground? What sort of distance from the ground? 2"?