Concrete floor slab

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rodgeramjet, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

Hi i have a concrete slab to pour but nothing to level off. The builder has built up to dpc level rather than floor level, about 4 cube is needed to give me a 125mm thick slab with steel mesh in it. What are my options for getting a level floor?

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

If your not going up to DPC i assume its only the sub-base concrete with a screed going on top.

If so it shouldn't be to hard to lever it off to the required depth below DPC, after all its never going to be seen once screeded over.

3. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

Thanks for your reply isitreally maybe I have got my heights wrong or something but this is a finished floor in a workshop. I thought DPC had to be a minimum of 150mm above ground level and if I was to take the floor up to this height that would give me too much of a step and loose headheight. Mind I'm no builder lol.

4. Isitreally

DPC does need to be 150mm above ground level, floor level is DPC height.

So in others words.

Outside 150mm below inside.

Rodgeramjet likes this.
  5. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

Oh that's my first ballsup on this build then will I get away with keeping the floor lower than dpc height. The make up is 150mm type1 30mm sand dpm that will come up to dpc level and fold over blocks with dpc on top. The reason I wish to keep floor low is I'm governed to 2.5M overall height without pp. Thanks again.

6. Isitreally

You can lay the floor lower than DPC but you should dress a wide DPC down into the DPM, or paint the difference with bitumen paint, to stop moisture entering below DPC and above floor level.

What are you going to do at the door threshold, step up and over DPC. ??

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Rodgeramjet likes this.
  7. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

The builder has left the door opening low and said for me to shutter the opening to finished floor height.
    I thought I would bring dpm up over the face of that part of slab and lay flagstones butting up to finished level with door thresh covering the join between concrete slab and paving slabs. Does this sound ok or am I asking for trouble doing it this way.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this

8. Isitreally

Can you posts some pics.

9. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

I will try posting pics when I get home later thanks

10. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

11. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

12. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

if the bricks are in to a higher level you just need a stepped tamp: either cut a notch in your timber or splice a section of timber to the end. Worth putting a couple of handles on so you don't have to bend down. Strongly recommend a mobile batcher rather than a normal spinner truck as you have no waste and have a bit more time to work. You can also control the slump of the concrete.

13. Rodgeramjet

Rodgeramjet New Member

Thanks Stevie the problem is it's a 5M span and finished floor is about 300mm lower than present wall height. I have until Monday to come up with a cunning plan .

No mobile mixers near me to my knowledge so 4 cube coming Monday I was thinking get it poured in 3 heaps down middle of base shovel 3 rows of concrete in stages at height down edges and middle and work my way back I will have help hopefully does that sound doable.

14. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

The "proper" way is to set up some screed rails. Generally use scaffold poles set just above concrete surface on screw adjustable chairs. You still need a notched tamp bar but you can set as many rails as you want so tamp can be short.

We have used 5m tamps over the years and you can step down 300 with a bit of a truss arrangement on the end.

As far as your proposed concreting plan good luck with that!!!! Search harder for a mobile: even the old style 5/3.5 mounted on the back of a tipper would make your task a whole lot easier.