Concrete Sections Garage Conversion

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Billy-was-taken, Jun 21, 2017.

?

Are you doing a project like this?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Considering to do it

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. Billy-was-taken

Billy-was-taken New Member

Hello, I have been meaning to post these photos for a while. The weather is nice to start a project like this. I did a lot of searching online prior to starting my project and I found very little. This is my DIY Standard sectional concrete garage converted for use of utility room. It's nothing special just practical

From this
    IMG_9421.JPG

First I started off with changing the abesto roof panels to a more enviro friendly option. While that was being done, I also change the wooden framed windows for upvc double glazed and upvc facias.

IMG_9438-1.JPG

IMG_9439.JPG

IMG_9443-1.JPG
    IMG_9444-1.JPG
    IMG_9445-1.JPG
    IMG_9447-1.JPG
    IMG_9448-1.JPG
    IMG_9449.JPG
    IMG_9454.JPG

Next I started on the damp proofing, I used a paint on dpc and used a silicon base to fill any larger cracks.

IMG_9482.JPG

IMG_9485.JPG

IMG_9487.JPG

Next it was the insulation, I used a 25mm insulation board which i simply glued to the concrete sections along insulation foam for the gaps around the edges.

IMG_9490.JPG
    IMG_9491.JPG
    Next i started on the structure, creating a baton frame using 3x4 within

IMG_9503-1.JPG
    IMG_9495.JPG

IMG_9496.JPG

Then I added a vapour Barrier, this was really easy to do, using a staple gun to simple hang it up making sure it's all air tight. this was a quick and easy process, i didn't take much photos on this

[​IMG]
    Next I started on the flooring. I used a thick dpc sheet to cover the entire floor before laying down the batons. Again, I used the 25mm insulation boards to insulate and before laying down the tong and grove floor boards I used the vapour barrier.
    [​IMG]

The inside is pretty much all done, the last think was hanging the plywood boards to finish off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also had the water and electric installed underground.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

DIYJunkie, prefab convert and KIAB like this.
  2. Perry Hazell

Perry Hazell New Member

How you finding the insulation? Noticed you haven’t done the roof with insulation, I’m going to attempt the same this summer. Looks pukka

3. stuffys

stuffys Member

Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing ideas/photos.

4. prefab convert

prefab convert New Member

Great post , looking to do something similar when the weather improves . I am also interested in how the insulation is holding up .