Condensation bathroom ceiling new build

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by BenNW, Oct 28, 2019.

1. BenNW

BenNW New Member

I moved into a new build properly back in May. Condensation from the shower trails around the ceiling, only around the edges, getting worse the longer the shower is running. It will disappear after 15 minutes or so. This occurs in both bathrooms which are upstairs. The developers have installed stronger extractor fans in each bathroom and have installed additional extractor above shower cubicle with no improvement whatsoever. Loft space is very well insulated. What could this be? Developers are scratching their heads at this point, also surveyors have never seen anything like it. We just want answers, sure it’s something quite simple as there are around 8 other homes similar to ours with no problem whatsoever.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The reason it's doing this is pure physics ... water vapour and steam will condense on a cold surface along the lines of a complex formula ... the colder the surface the more it will cause condensation ... the higher the humidity in the air the more it will cause condensation.
    Firstly, the sort of condensation you described is not an issue at all, as it is gone within 10 minute; so no accumulated effect such that it pools or drips.
    Secondly, the paint manufacturers have understood this, which is why they sell specially formulated paints for bathrooms. (As such it's best to shower with the bathroom door closed so the high humidity doesn't get into the rest of the house ... not too closed or there won't be enough air flow for the extractor fan to work.)
    Have you turned your heating on yet? Heating would make the walls and ceiling in the bathroom warmer, so reduce the amount of condensation.

3. BenNW

BenNW New Member

Thanks for your response. We are wondering why we are the only plot to have this issue. We moved in, in the height of summer and the house was very hot! The heating is on now, we have exactly the same issue. Do you recommend any paints for the ceiling? The ceiling is currently painted in an eggshell Matt colour.

4. rogerk101

I very much doubt it. It's more likely that you are the only owners overreacting to something that is perfectly normal and perfectly OK. I'm guessing you're first time home owners, and it's normal to overreact to many things that you notice in your new home. Experience comes with time ... enjoy your new home rather than looking for faults in it.

Go to your local paint shop ... not B&Q or Homebase ... and not our hosts or Toolstation. Ask them for their advice. They'll point you at the right products.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A decent Eggshell paint such as Dulux Trade Diamond Eggshell, Crown Trade Extreme, Zinsser Perma White.

6. BenNW

BenNW New Member

I think if you saw the photos you would quickly change your opinion on this. No this is our third house.

7. rogerk101

If it's as bad as you're making it out to be, the only cause I can think of is that the builders forgot to put the insulation in behind the ceiling. There's no other explanation for why you have surfaces cold enough to cause condensation like that.
    But it can't be as bad as you say it is because you say it dries off in 10 minutes. That must meant that there can't be all that much ... otherwise it would take much longer to dry.
    If my bathroom condensation disappeared after 10 minutes, I'd be delighted!