Condensation in breeze block hobby room

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paulw563, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Paulw563

Paulw563 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I think I've made a massive cock-up and I'm looking for some advice please

We recently had a breeze block hobby room built with the help of my son (He's a ground worker), it was open to the elements for a few months and rather damp before we had the windows\door and roof installed.

With the blocks being so wet we asked my father-in-law for advice and he suggested we bitumen paint the inside, which we did on over half of the blocks.

So the half that are covered in Bitumen seem to be wet to the touch, where the other blocks just feel cold.

We are going to batten the walls and insulate with rockwool with a Tongue and Grove wooden interior, I'm afraid that the bitumen is causing the condensation which will therefore make the rockwool wet

We have now painted over the emulsion which 24hrs later is still wet to touch..

SO, do I need to sand the lot off and have a bare wall?

Any advice appreciated

Many Thanks

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

No, you need to get your father in law to remove the bitumen ;)

Jord86 likes this.
  3. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Install some vents at the base of your wall, leave an air gap between the wall and insulation, vapour barrier between the inside of your rockwool and the cladding.

Ideally get rid of the bitumen first. Probably hire/get your FiL to hire a sand blaster for the day.