Condenser pipe from boiler on gutter downpipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lucy122, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

Hi
    Can someone help advise
    My boiler that was new about 3 years ago has the condenser pipe connected to the gutter downpipe
    Recently when I had my boiler service I was advised I needed to change the gutter pipes to avoid water going back into my boiler?
    Can anyone advise if this is a real risk and what is needed to prevent this from happening?
    I’m not in a financial position to pay for the work on what I have been quoted
    Thanks

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

The condensing pipe should either go directly into the drain, or better still, into the soil stack within the house in order to avoid it freezing in winter. There is a risk that should the gutter downpipe get blocked, water will back up into the boiler.

Where is the boiler, anywhere near the kitchen sink?

Cliff Rees likes this.
  3. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

No it’s nowhere near the kitchen sink it’s by my front door

4. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@Lucy122
    At what height does the condensate pipe run into the down-pipe???

Is this down-pipe likely / subject to getting blocked???

When you say "change the gutter pipes", is this exactly what was said??? And if so, did the person say to change them to what???

If it is not at risk of getting blocked or freezing up then there shouldn't be an issue.

Could get another opinion from someone that can see it, or post a pic........

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

How does the gutter down pipe go into the ground/drain? If its an open drain, then the condensate pipe can be rerouted to simply run parallel with the downpipe to the drain and discharge there.

6. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

It doesn’t go into a drain it goes into a soakaway in the garden

He just said that they put some sort of overflow gutter pipe in so if there is any block and back flow it doesn’t go into the boiler
    It’s never frozen or backed up before
    Sometimes water comes out round the edge of it as it isn’t sealed but I just guessed that was where rain was coming down the downpipe

7. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

It won’t let me upload pictures says it’s too big a file

8. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I've seen the amount of water that comes down a down-pipe ........ assuming this is off of the house roof ?, it can be a hell of a lot.

How big is the soak-away and how far from the house ???

@Lucy122 try reducing the picture sizing and quality using VGA in your phone's camera settings. Might be an easy solution.

9. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

Yeh it’s off the roof
    I’m not sure how far away or how big it is how would I know? Speak to the person that dug it?

I have tried to change camera settings and still says it’s too big lol

10. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

Managed to work it out!

Attached Files:

11. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

Another pic

Attached Files:

12. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

Close up of fitting

Attached Files:

13. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I do believe that bit of condensate pipe should be insulated ......... ideally, at least.
    Ideally installed at a steeper angle too IMO ........

However, I wouldn't worry about my last comment, just put some insulation on the white pipe.

And sleep better knowing it has less chance of freezing up .......... :)

14. penguinman

penguinman Member

This is a real risk for which I attended yesterday where the drain blocks with moss from the roof it rains hard backs up through the condense fills the heat exchanger blows the fan and fills the gas valve full of water. You require an external air break between the guttering downpipe and condense pipework

15. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

I’m not a qualified boiler engineer, but I can’t see why installing a ‘tundish’ on the condensate pipe before it exits the wall wouldn’t be an effective solution. Parts would be less than £15 and only take 20mins to fit.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  16. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

Do you think not much chance of it going back in to the boiler? I will get some insulation to make sure it doesn’t freeze

17. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

what’s an external air break? Is it something I can do myself?

18. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

I’m not even sure what that is? But will look in to it! Obviously I don’t want an expensive boiler break so anything I can do without paying someone stupid money that I don’t have is good

19. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

It’s just a little open funnel that’s installed in middle of the plastic pipe as it runs vertically.. will stop water back flowing into boiler. Normally they are used as a way of visually seeing if water is suddenly going down an overflow pipe..

Hans_25 likes this.
  20. Lucy122

Lucy122 New Member

wonder if it’s something I can do myself lol