Confirmation for reasons to scribe internal corners on skirting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ShabbaPlanks, Nov 7, 2006.

1. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    sorry was dunc before but are you a carpenter? , your posts smack of the self taught brigade! the bigger, more ornate the mouldings the more reason you have to scribe ,which is why this method existis in the first place, and yes there is a method i use with square eged skirtings which gives a much better result than either mitreing or butting also i do scribe in a bay window too its quite possible but just rquires a much bigger backcut to the scribe im suprised as you all should know this as its basic carpentry and we shouldn't even need to disscussing it

2. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    fogot to say that mitering internals is not a skill!. have fun ou there today people!!:)

3. osdset

osdset New Member

Truly a can of worms this thread!   If all the trades behaved, and did their job properly, the brickwork would be plumb and square, the plasterer would only put on the bare minimum without compromising the accuracy of the brickwork, and us poor chippies would not have to make everyone elses work look good. lol

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It is if you make it look as professional as a scribe.

I would also like to say this. You go on about how a mitre will 'open up/show a gap etc.

Then you go on to say that you first mitre the straight part of a skirting(scribing only the profile).

So YOU mean to tell ME that YOUR mitring of the straight bit IS ACCEPTABLE.

Pffft. Make your mind up!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

What he means Andy is that you cut a 45 degree mitre on one bit then cut the mitre bit off, leaving the profile to b u t t  up to the straight piece of skirting.  Easier to show you than put into words. Scribing skirting is the best way as you can also accomodate skirting that isn't exactly plumb either. You couldn't do that by simply mitreing the skirting board.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Don't you pack it behind to MAKE it plumb(or dig out the bottom of the wall if offset) ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hmmm, I have packed skirting out at the bottom to make it plumb, but on sites, to earn your money, you don't have time to hack off plaster etc to let skirting go back to plumb,,,, which brings me conveniently back to osdset's post, above. ;)

If a wall has a slight bow in it, do you think a tiler would try to straighten the tiles out? Nahhhh he just follows the wall. If it's good enough for other trades then  unfortunately, it's good enough for joiners.

8. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    dont think i have ever mentioned shrinkage, other people have, although that is another advantage of scribing, anyways you just said that you can make your mitred corner look as pro as a scribe, so what do you mean? even the best ever mitred corner will not look as good as a scribe because you will always be looking at 2 cuts not one covering the other board (less work) also if the board you are scribing to is not perfect(cupped, out of plumb) you can adjust the scribe accordingly, quickly and with out spending half an hour on the saw! spend a bit of time with the scribe method learn how to do it properly and im sure that you will find it much quicker, with a way better finnish, go on now don't be shy! im off to glastonbury on sunday but when i get back ill post a photo of an example and ill include the method for doing square sectioned skirting too!
    :)

9. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

the simple answer to this question is this:

we scribe BECAUSE I SAID SO! (generally bellowed at the top of the lungs)

lets face it, professionals scribe . . . . diy mitre

10. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Remember it well. "HAVE YOU NO FINISHED THAT YET,GET A ******G MOVE ON"  DONT ASK STUPID QUESTIONS JUST SCRIBE IT.

HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE SHOPS YET?

Ah, the good old days.

11. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

when i was an apperentice i had to do the chip shop run every fridays on one job for about 25 joiners all of whom had different requests, fish and chips, peas no feking salt. fish and chips with salt ,no vinegar, lots of vinegar, no tom sauce, loads of tom sauce, ect ect ect and of course i got it wrong every week! then i had to fill the skip and then finally if i got to do any wood work it normally got ripped out, i recived a clout on the head and told to do it again, and again until it passed! yep they were the days! (would of had my leg cut off with a disston saw if i had tried to mitre ANYTHING  internally, by the way!!!)

12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

sorry apprentice!

13. Mr. Handyandy

No. The answer to this question is, I mitre because I can, and you can't.

Is it jealousy ?

Have you lot been trying to achieve the perfect mitre for 40 years, and failed.

And when I say I can, you just can't take it.

Listen up. Just because YOU can't do it properly, DOESN'T mean that someone else can't.

I can. I do. Live with it.

And Jeznottt. STOP saying 'you can never' 'never be as good as' 'never look as good as' etc

There is no such thing. I CAN. I do. YOU CAN'T. Your weakness. Not mine.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    oh you poor misguided fool! there isn't 1 carpenter on this thread who cant mitre internal joints, we just don't because its as wrong as driving on the right, non of us have tried to perfect it because we use another method that is not at all flawed in any way,and i will never stop saying that it will never look so good because i know that it doesn't anyways the weakness lies fully with you my friend as you appear to have no idea about how to scribe where as  i do, sorry we do, the carpenters i mean! shame really as you generally have a very decent understanding of the trade and i imagine if you pulled in some bad habits your personal pride would only profit!:)

15. Mr. Handyandy

Jeznott, listen up, and listen up good.

You keep saying it will never look as good. YOURS may not. Mine do.

And for your info, I can scribe as well as the next man. I choose not to, because I mitre faster,  and achieve as good a result. Through experience, I can guess an angle as accurately as another could measure it.

As I said, just because you can't achieve a good result, doesn't mean I can't.

You fail. I don't.

If you can't handle that, it's YOUR loss.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    ok mate i throw the gauntlet again! prove it man because if you have some mysterious way of mitering internals that looks A, better than i can do (would do it just for a one off for you) B, better than a scribe, then i have to see it because i know i would beat the pants off you hands down and if im wrong i would make it worth your while!  also we have to assume that your version of a good result is totaly objective of your own opinion where as ours is taught by an independant body of our peers and has been for, oh i don't know 600 years! listen up too, we havent ever tried to get a good result with internal 45s as ,i mentioned before, we use a different method! ps have you ever heard the phrase there is no work where there is guess work?

17. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

It sounds as if all this scribing has become an occupation in itself.  Borne out of necessity obviously. More to do with contracting and working with inferior grade materials, and'or the combined effects of bad storage, maybe. But neither of the arguments makes me think one method is superior to the other.

I suppose one day mdf skirting boards will come with an already shaped end.

But it remains that scribing is the preferred method to imitate mitreing, whereas mitreing doesn't need to imitate scribing.

18. SteveHep

SteveHep New Member

Ok I don't really know the reasons that scribing should be used, apart from what I have been told on the course I am doing right now. These being that shrinkage of the joint is very much reduced, so that any gaps that 'might' occur are less with a scribed joint than with a mitred joint. That it is easier to 'adjust' a scribed joint to take into account any problems with the open angle of the internal corner joint, and/or the 'true' of the wall. That a mitre cut square on skirting that has ANY amount of cupping etc will magnify this problem and make the joint much harder (and more time consuming) to make to anything like an acceptable standard of appearance.

Speaking as someone that thought he was a very capable 'handy-man' joiner I had full confidence in my ability to make very neat mitred joints on the internal corners when doing skirting. Now having been taught the correct method to use when scribing I have to be honest and say that scribing ends up being easier, quicker, and much much more professional in the end result. I have been using mitred for a lot of years but will never do so again with any skirting that has any sort of shaped profile. This change of opinion is based on my own observation of the improved quality of the scribed joint over mitred, with only a few days practice of scribing, AND the requirement of current teaching and assessment that scribing is the method taught and NOT mitre-ing. I reckon there must be very good reasons why scribing is the method taught, and why mitre-ing would not be!

19. Cityboy

Cityboy New Member

My gast has been well and truly flabbered. I have been forced to join up and respond to the complete drivel written by this "handy"? andy. While reading the nonsense he continues to espout on this particular thread, I had to check out other replies   Why does he continue to dig holes for himself and continually argue with TRADESMEN, when BLATANTLY in the wrong. I cannot believe replies like, "tapping  the end of the the skirting to tighten the internal mitre joint", :eek:

20. Mr. Handyandy

Well excuse me cityboy. Don't you come on here spouting the 'almighty' when no-one knows you from Adam.

Who the hell are YOU to say that I can't cut a good mitre ?

And why the hell do you think I keep arguing ?

BECAUSE I DO THE THINGS I SAY I DO.

I ACTUALLY DO THEM AND SUCCEED.

HOW can ANYONE argue that ?

I DO IT. I DONE IT.

How can ANYONE say I don't ?

I succeed because I can. If you can't/won't, you are not as good as I am.

How can I be 'Blatantly in the wrong' when I SUCCEED at what I say I do ?

It would be wrong if I failed. I don't.

So cityboy, I don't wish to be abusive(though I don't see why not because YOUR post was certainly unfriendly, derogative and slanderish), but when forced, sod off.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really