Conflicting answers

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hoskie, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Hi people, I have been amused many time reading some replies to questions on this forum and I have also gained some valuable knowledge from posts that I have read.

One thing that ammuses me the most is the varying answers that people offer, for example "Screedf first or plaster?" Well I am a plasterer and as many have stated you would screed first then board and skim or if you need to board first then you set the boards above the finished screed. And yes for obvious reasons you leave a gap between finished floor and boards IE damp.

I am learning all the time and no one job is never the same. Now for someone who is a DIYer who posts a sensible question to get bombardede with a multitude of conflicting answers it must be difficult for them to choose which advice is best.

I find it most interesting that there can be so many differing opinions on how thing should be done, after all there is a right way and a wrong way! But who is right and who is wrong is a very good question indeed.

Personally I would ignore any advice given by Rob suckscock or what ever he calls himself. My advice to anyone seeking GOOD advice is to read back through previous posts and decide for yourself who's opinions are the best.

Personally I trust and value tha opinions of most tradesmen who use this forum Ie Mudster slapiton TKF robbo cornishcrafter handyman and many others (Please dont be offended if I missed you out as there are many many more!)

Anyway enough said..............

2. The world is full of Bullsh***s Hoskie and forums like this are the bread and butter of No brain clowns like Sukdik who scour books and the web for information to vainly enamour himself with others, as he has shown time and again in an embarrassingly grotesque fashion he has zero understanding of what he splutters out. Then hides like the spineless dog he is in anonymity behind a pc screen in his mummys back bedroom. So step up to the plate Farley and earn some respect for once in your miserable pittifull life and stand up to be counted if you dare.Too many Indians and not enough chiefs is the order of the day here and some of the posts are laughable, in particular from those pertaining to be competant time served tradesman.Or just friendless pathetic trite little oompah loompah hunchbacks who hide away spitting venom for kicks knowing that he can go suck mummys ***** when he gets his regular slap from me.

3. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Ouch!!! Do I detect a slight level of intollerance towards our learerd friend Mr suckdik!!!

4. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

I will step away from the mud slinging;-)

It does bother me sometimes some of the answers that are given, but at times we also all make mistakes and perhaps not give the best advice, or think we know something and answer it only to see someone else point out a better way of doing it. I try to admit if I'm wrong, or if someone else has come up with a good or better suggestion. And as we all know there are many ways of doing the same job - all being correct.

I will say that certain people should indeed perhaps keep their mouths shut and admit they have very little practical knowledge of any real trade or even serious DIY!

My comment is not aimed at people like Handyman, Dewalt ( :) ) etc who has learn by being hands on and asking questions, but aimed at the individuals who dont actually know what it's like being on your tools 6 days a week then going home pricing up jobs til 10 pm!
    Woody

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i personaly do make mistakes [who dosnt ] but thats the beuty of the forum someone picks them up

i i know the answer i will say precisly
    if i am a bit unsure i will say i aint shure

and if its an unusual answer to an unusual i will qualify it

as for knowing what i am talking about;):)

i am always learning

big all

6. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

Hey Big All - "we are all..still learning" !!

And Hoskie - a very good point,and well-made.
    I'm on here virtually every night,and it soon becomes apparent from reading peoples posts who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't

It just becomes a matter of learning who to ignore..

7. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

remember,we learn so little,yet forget so much!

8. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

If I ever respond to a post then I tend not to give advise but only my opinion and only on subjects that I feel confident and qualified to answer.

Sometimes its apparent that some of the users who post questions are looking for a quick easy and affordable solution, but sometimes these people need to accept that there is not always a quick easy and affordable solution.

There are many short cuts that a DIYer can take to that would be acceptable to them but not acceptable to pro tradesmen and I think that is what people need to bare in mind when posting and answering questions on the forum.

Anyway what do I no Im just a simple spread!

9. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

Hey Big All - "we are all..still learning" !!

And Hoskie - a very good point,and well-made.
    I'm on here virtually every night,and it soon becomes
    apparent from reading peoples posts who knows what
    they are talking about and who doesn't

It just becomes a matter of learning who to ignore..

I agree absolutely.

10. Cookoid

Cookoid New Member

I agree that you get a lot of noise amongst the signal in the advice given. Having said that I have had to lifesaving advice from the regulars on here in the past and there are plenty of excellent posts in the archives. If it wasnt for this and other forums and other internet resources, I wouldnt have been able to get as far as I have with renovating houses.

I think if you come somewhere like here you should have at least enough knowledge to filter out who is talking complete and utter cr@p and who knows what they are talking about. And also you need to follow the forum for a while to see who to listen to. Admittedly its not always simple as Mr Suckdik for example obviously stumbles on the correct answer sometimes, but his post about using PVA outside has alerted me to ignore all his contributions.