Confused about how to tidy up silicone once it's been applied

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by wasilewski, Mar 16, 2019.

1. wasilewski

wasilewski New Member

I have been researching this via Youtube videos for the last few weeks and am a bit confused as to how you tidy up the silicone once you have your bead laid down.

I have my Fugi kit and have tried it out and it wasn't too successful as the silicone (Gorilla white) felt like it was starting to set after being down a very, very short period of time - 1 - 2 minutes. It was going tacky very quick - maybe the result of working in a hot bathroom? I'm not sure if it wasn't of good quality to begin with or if it was my technique. I did follow the instructions I found online, such as holding the Fugi at 90 degree angle.

I intend to buy different silicone.

I was wondering if the use of soapy water on the Fugi tool is recommended or something else? I have seen videos on Youtube advising against this and some advise to do this and I've been reading so many different things that I don't know what to do anymore!

Any advice is appreciated.

2. xednim

xednim Active Member

always where have a choice using dow corning acetoxy, in most of the cases preparing surface with masking tape and using my finger (no wetting/no washing liquids etc.) if doing bathtub and walls tape goes everywhere and next applying silicone in stages- one long line+smoothing, two short lines+smoothing- in my method silicone doesn't stay longer than 1 minute before smoothing, when all lines done removing masking tape
    my colleagues using silicone install tools as you mentioned- they spread silicone on the joint, spraying with glass washing liquid (important that the liquid is clear) and next smoothing with the tool- advantage of that- bit faster than with the tape, down points- if you are applying contrasting with surface silicone and you have vertical grout lines in there it will look messy, also when you are using soapy water silicone won't adhere in some places where will be squeezed in what will result gap creating in weeks time