Confusing hollow wall in new house

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Avocado64, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Avocado64

Avocado64 New Member

Hi there,

We bought a new house and stupidly didn't check everything properly in the garage connected to the back of the house.

It's an old house so no cavity walls, and I noticed that in the garage the wall that connects to the house oddly has a window in it. When you look through the glass you can see wooden support or something for the wall in the bedroom.

So I went to the bedroom and knocked the wall and yup it's hollow, but only in that one square where the window in the garage is, the rest of the wall is all solid.

I think heat is definitely escaping through here, any tips or advice?

Would it be possible to put insulation on the other side and then seal that in behind the window, or would it be better/possible to get a builder out to just brick in the window?

Thanks

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

It sounds like the garage is a later addition and they used something lightweight to fill in the window hole in the bedroom wall
    to save doing brickwork.

You could get it bricked up, but if you just want to insulate it without having to do anything in the bedroom, I'm sure some decent
    loft insulation fitted from in the garage, and a board (plywood or similar) to hold it in place attached to the old window frame would
    do the trick.

As always on here, we love photos, so if you can provide one please, there may be other ideas about what's best. Thanks.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite the window, insulate and brick up.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The solid walls are likely the biggest cause of thermal loss and likely have a U valve of >2