Confusing light switch wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ant.frisoli, Feb 11, 2024.

1. ant.frisoli

ant.frisoli New Member

Hi
    I want to change a single metal dimmer switch to a single standard switch, but the wiring is confusing (see attached photo). There are 3 brown wires, 3 blue wires and 2 yellow and green wires. The wires are connected as follows: 2 brown wires into L1, 1 brown wire into com, all 3 blue wires capped off and not connected, one yellow and green wire connected to the back box and one connected to the back plate of the metal light switch.
    The new standard light switch has L1, L2 and a Com connection. How do I wire this light switch?

Attached Files:

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

3. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

Leave the blue cables connected together. You don’t need to touch them.

Put the brown cables in exactly the same terminals as they are in the old switch, ie Com in old switch moves to Com in new switch. Same for L1. Ignore L2 in new switch.

If your new switch is metal, connect the green / yellow CPC to the switch front plate as it is just now. If it’s plastic switch, you can remove that cable (but leave the other green/yellows connected together in the terminal in the back of the metal back box).

HarryL1234 likes this.
  4. ant.frisoli

ant.frisoli New Member

I'll give that a go. Thank you

5. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Active Member

All the earth wires must go together, not one in the switch and one in the back box as it was.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The one in the switch is a flylead back to the remaining earth in the terminal.

It's fine!

WH55 likes this.
  7. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Active Member

That is not what he said. Read his post again.

8. Bazza-spark

I know what he said, but I was going by what I could see in the photo, which could have shown more.

WH55 likes this.
  9. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

That’s the thing with DIYers. I go with what I can see in photos and not what they say. The fly lead was very clearly a fly lead to a metal face plate. Therefore I said disconnect it unless the replacement was a metal switch. I did think about telling him to connect it to the back box along with the other CPCs but no doubt I would get shot down for saying that too, and it would have been utterly pointless. I might not be great :D ….. but I’m right.

Bazza-spark likes this.
  10. Bazza-spark

Grate lol

Ind spark likes this.
  11. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

I am great

12. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

13. Bazza-spark