Connect water inlet connection to plastic pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mo Ali, Mar 26, 2021.

  1. Mo Ali

    Mo Ali New Member


    I bought a new sink and it has a 1/2" water inlet pipe but d previous pipework for the kitchen sink is very weird and to be honest I'm not sure exactly what connection I need or what what item I need for to make this work.

    please could you help me understand what fitting I would need as I want to connect to my old pipes securely and then use the inlet pipe to connect to my new sink.


    Attached Files:

  2. jonathanc

    jonathanc Screwfix Select

    Which is old and which is new?
  3. Mo Ali

    Mo Ali New Member

    The one on the right (in the first picture) is the plastic pipe that is currently there and the one on the left is the new inlet pipe that connects to the new sink
  4. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Screwfix Select

    Pipework and connections that you have aren't really 'weird' - more likely that you've not done much plumbing yourself ?

    The white connection in your hand is a push fit fitting - looks like a Polyplumb brand

    The second picture shows a silver isolation valve on RH pipe - is there also one fitted to the other pipe

    The flexi tails with new tap have 'tap connector ends' - although these flexis come with other fittings also, just dependant on brand

    If you remove copper pipe from top of silver isolation valve, then fit these to iso valves, then your flexi tap tails will screw directly on to adaptors

    You will need two new olives and two nuts (can remove nuts from copper pipe and reuse) or buy a single 15mm compression fitting and cannibalise to give you 2 olives and nuts
    Mo Ali likes this.
  5. terrymac

    terrymac Screwfix Select

    That plastic pipe doesn't appear to have a pipe stiffener inserted into its end,which a plastic pipe must have.
    You could remove the white plastic fitting from the pipe ,fit insert, buy an isolation valve and tap tail adaptor. Your Flexi hose will screw onto the tap tail adaptor.
    The copper pipe has an isolator so just need an adaptor for that.
    Mo Ali likes this.
  6. Mo Ali

    Mo Ali New Member

    Thanks for getting back to me! No not much plumbing done other than simple bath tap changes so I suppose I meant weird, relative to the bath tap changes.

    The cold water has the isolation valve currently and the hot water doesn't. I uploaded another picture after putting it back together

    Attached Files:

  7. Mo Ali

    Mo Ali New Member

    Thank you, this is helpful. I now know what I need to fit to the cold water pipe which has the isolation valve.

    But for the plastic pipe...there's a small ring with teeth on it and I can't pull it off, so would I cut it off and put new pipe stiffener and isolation valve? (then tap tail adapter to the Flexi hose)
  8. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Screwfix Select

    So cold water with iso valve fitted -
    Remove pipe coming out top, fit tap tail adaptor as I’ve linked to, remember you need a new olive as I mentioned, (which doesn’t come with the adaptors)

    Hot water pipe -
    Cut pipe to remove remains of fitting as those grab rings tend to bite into the plastic and leave indents

    Fit an insert (T.St sell them singularly) ;)
    Fit isolation valve to hot pipe
    Fit adaptor as cold pipe

    Connect new flexi tap tails and off you go !

    Check flexi tails are correct length to reach hot and cold supplied / can be straight but not under tension or have a gentle curve or even a loop if they’re too long

    Or adjust hot and cold supplies accordingly

    Good luck
    Mo Ali likes this.
  9. Mo Ali

    Mo Ali New Member

    Thank you so much!! Finally I know what to do, spent ages googling (ovbiously the wrong terms) but you put me on the right road really quickly :) cheers

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice