Connecting CO2 to pipe freeze jackets

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Upex, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Upex

Upex Member

Hi all,

Hope you keeping well and safe.

Pipe freezing related:

Anyone connected a normal refillable CO2 cylinder to the wrap around pipe muffs before, rather than using the small expensive tanks for the kit?

Have a 10kg liquid co2 cylinder (e25 thread the sales chap said) and have an Arctic polar Pro kit that uses 4mm push in poly hoses into the jackets via brass type connectors. The valve connection of the kit is apparently 7/16th (as per replay from artic product manager)

The small brass valve regulator from the kit is way too small for the big cylinder, so thinking I need an adapter or two/three or perhaps a hose that bridges the size difference.

Anyone done / do it?

Cheers

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I used to use that years ago. Seem to remember that you need special cylinders that let out liquid not gas , as urs may!

3. Upex

Upex Member

Absolutely Nigel, liquid extraction vs gas (or turn gas cylinder upside down).

What I cannot find is a suitable adapter to get from the E25/w21.8 (or whatever standard refillable tanks are) exit thread, down to the 4mm push fit fittings that are on the pipe cuffs/muffs.

Managed to find a regulator that drops to 6mm, so suppose could then use a reducer, but just can't believe I'm the first to want to use the 20times cheaper CO2 rather than the throw away cans of coolant that are for the cuff/**** kits.

Market gap here me thinks