Connecting downstairs rad to upstairs feed and return

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BenjyK, Dec 9, 2020.

1. BenjyK

BenjyK New Member

I’m looking to add a rad in a downstairs living room - and by far the easiest route to a flow and return happens to be straight through the ceiling into the upstairs circuit (which has 3 rads on). Connecting it to the downstairs circuit would be a lot more tricky.

Could this work or is it a bad idea to have a downstairs rad connected up in this way? I’m wondering if it would mess up the flow to the 3 rads upstairs, or does it not make any difference?

Thanks! Benjy

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

My downstairs rads are all connected that way. I had to re-pipe it like that after a leak in the pipes in the concrete floor
    the previous owners stupidly replaced the nice floorboards with (hint - old houses don't like wooden floors being replaced
    with concrete).

You'll need to do some re-balancing of the system afterwards, but it should be fine.

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It’s fine as long as it’s not already zoned.
    If you can control upstairs and downstairs separately then this would affect things.
    Chances are your not zoned though.

Joe the Plumber likes this.