connecting to a soil vent pipe.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jj, May 28, 2004.

1. jj

jj New Member

took this from the BUILDERS forum but guess it's better posted here..

---------------------------------------------------------
    Advice please - connecting toilet to soil vent
    Posted: Mar 22, 2004 4:51 PM

Hi all
    I am building a new bathroom in a new extension. The toilet and waste pipe etc are all new.
    Can I connect the toilet by going straight out the back of the toilet (instead of droping down) through the new wall and then connect direct into the soil vent pipe which will be fixed on the outside wall?.

Thanks
    KBG

oggie

Re: Advice please - connecting toilet to soil vent
    Posted: Mar 22, 2004 5:44 PM

If I understand you
    YES

jj

Re: Advice please - connecting toilet to soil vent
    Posted: May 28, 2004 4:55 PM

Same thing (if I understand the first question),
    Vent Pipe on side rear wall,
    Soil Stack on side front wall (for existing bathroom soil)

New dormer loft extension with bathroom being built and the vent pipe almost runs past where the new toilet will be going, can the vent pipe be tee'd into and used for soil ? Would save one heck of a run !

I'll firm this up with the D.S. when he next appears

2. Bahco

Bahco Guest

You are not supposed to connect to a vent pipe as the base will not have the correct radius bend ((underground)and will cause blockages!
    Building control officers will not allow this.

3. jj

jj New Member

Yeh, had a feeling it wasn't that simple, hence moved this post to the plumbing section, as looks like bad info from the builders... It still might be easier to make the vent pipe a soil one (of this is allowable) as the drain cover is right next to the vent pipe and it's a very shallow drain, so should be quite easy to change the bottom radius...

ta..

4. bilco

bilco New Member

Hi JJ

Is the vent only that...no other drain connections to it before the IC?

If it's just a vent chances are it doesn't terminate in the IC to suit soil discharge (unlovely invert and not flowed). As the only common criteria for a vent is that it continually rises...it may terminate as an open ended pipe above the channel. It should still be relatively easy to convert though..

5. jj

jj New Member

The vent is just a vent, it's about 8 inches from the nearest inspection cover. It's situated part way through a run (downstairs rear toilet and kitchen waste run past it) the drain then continues down the side of the house and picks up the soil stack at the front (upstairs front toilet) From the inspection cover I can see where the vent connects, and without sticking my arm up it, it's difficult to tell if it's a smooth run with adequate radius but even if it did, the waste would be going against the flow of the drain - so it will need amending. Fortunately it's at the start of the run and is just below the ground (6-8 inches)