Connector query.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yorkshireboy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

A large percentage of the sparks I have employed or seen working use connector blocks instead of junction boxes when fitting downlighters.
    I know this is frowned upon but can someone explain what is so bad about a taped up connector in a ceiling void as opposed to a JB

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

A large percentage of the sparks I have employed or
    seen working use connector blocks instead of junction
    boxes when fitting downlighters.
    I know this is frowned upon but can someone explain
    what is so bad about a taped up connector in a
    ceiling void as opposed to a JB

Access and ease of checking connection..

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Yorky.. do you know how difficult it is to check a tape joint?

;)

4. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Why would you need to check the connections,surely once the screws are tightened in switches, sockets,connectors etc they stay tight.
    What about connectors without tape,as fitted by some part p lads top to bottom on a site I was on last week ...;)

5. sysparks

sysparks New Member

At the end of the day, connectors wrapped in tape is not dangerous, if done correctly, but its against the regs. And for the sake of 70p or less per joint box, its not a risk i would take. It just looks ** too.

[Edited by: admin9]

6. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Oh and connections do loosen over time (expansion and contraction)

7. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

shoul double insulate it at least really, tape concidered a bit rough but i doubt it is any less "safe" in real terms if done well. Loop out of the ****** or use a enclosure i say as they are hardly dear but if ones not in your back pocket and you are sick of getting in and out of the loft and are a bit warm and itching i could see it happening.

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

The problem is the tape does not have a BS number to satisfy fire retardent properties ,but if it does then ,there can be no objection .

9. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

At the end of the day, connectors wrapped in tape is
    not dangerous, if done correctly, but its against the
    regs. And for the sake of 70p or less per joint box,
    its not a risk i would take. It just looks ** too.

What risk are you taking ? Why is the taped up connector block more dangerous

10. wally2

wally2 New Member

Hi, if I find connector joints in cielings I would fail it, apart from the fact it looks diy. I doubt if proper sparkies do it. Cables need double insulation, whether it be the insulatin itsself or the enclosure acts as the secondary insulation ie joint box. There is bound to be single insulation stripping it back to terminate it into a connector & I doubt if tape will bring it upto double insulation. They are commonly used to fitting lights but the light cover acts as the secondary covering.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The tape can dry up and lose it's stickiness, and maybe fall off. Tape is never considered permanent.

That's what I think.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

dunno bout that wally, double insulation is pretty good on taped joints, done right forget trying to get a crack off it just try and get into it! Some i have found are prob ip68 equiv if you get the slack just cut the **** no slack find the end :)

13. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I can assure you that proper sparks do it all the time(from my experience)
    Take a piece of 1mm cable,join it with connectors and tape,the joint is connected and insulated.Use a JB and the connection is not insulated fully

14. wally2

wally2 New Member

I will have to post some if my pics on here one day. Some people find very unusual ways of joining cables, undo the tape & find what I thought was the old screwit connector (some of you older boys will know) but in fact they had screwed a plastic wallplug holding the cables together. Another unusual pic i took years ago, the chap must have been short of cable clips to fix his bit of 2.5 twin/earth so he fixed it with 2 inch wire nails right through the middle

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Quite often taped up connections are used to replace ceiling roses..

But a few years later your asked to change the light fitting..

And...

Oh...They are usually a b'stard to undo..etc

(don't like it)

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Take a piece of 1mm cable..

Heaven forbid...1mm T&E cable?

(don't like it)

17. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Ex ,we had to fall out sometime !
    1mm is the cable I use exclusively for domestic properties.
    It is simply THE BEST

18. wally2

wally2 New Member

Sorry ext, I have to agree with daisy on this one, I love it as well (1mm cable that is). Off to bed now, bye all.

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Ex ,we had to fall out sometime !
    1mm is the cable I use exclusively for domestic
    properties.
    It is simply THE BEST

Oh...

OK guy's...whatever 'floast your boat'

;)

20. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

We're not talking about the cable we're talking about the connection