Conservatory conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sam Mathews, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Sam Mathews

Sam Mathews New Member

When I purchased my house it came with a very poorly built conservatory. Before purchase it was checked by building regs and has passed so the building itself is safe. The way the roof has been designed is that wooden beams run across the width of the conservatory and sit on top of the bricks. This obviously means that there is a gap between the roof and the top of the wall. As a temporary measure I covered the hole with some skirting board put upside down.

I'm wondering if the conservatory would be worth turning into a proper room, and if it is something I could take on myself. Im a fairly competent DIYer and have done all of the plumbing and decorating around the house thus far. I cannot afford the thousands it could cost to be converted so i would appreciate nobody wasting my time saying "get the professionals in" as its either i do it myself or it doesnt get done.

The conservatory already has a 1800x600 radiator plumbed in, i got sockets put in when the house was rewired, all I need to do is make it less cold/draughty. The first thing i was thinking is filling the cavity. There is easy access to the cavity at the top, and i know polystyrene beads are often used for insulation, so (I know thi might sound dumb) but would it be possible to buy a load of like bean bag filler or packaging polystyrene and just pour it in the cavity from above? Or would that be too easy?

Also, as you can see in he photo. theres a clear polycarb roof on which i can imagine being all that great for insulating. Would it be possible to just screw plasterboards to the beams already up and create a false ceiling with some insulation between the plaster and the polycarb roof? Or would the roof need replacing entirely?

If i can do this myself it would only be a few hundred ££ job mainly buying insulation and then getting a plasterer to skim the ceiling, I've seen the pamflets for roof conversions and i know it would be into the thousands to get it all done professionally.

Any advice is appreciated, if it isn't possible then it isnt the end of the world but it feels like a waste of space if it is something that I could make usable space

Attached Files: