conservatory heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by cpam23, Nov 15, 2005.

1. cpam23

cpam23 New Member

I need to put some heating into my conservatory, it is only small 6ft by 9ft.
    It leads off the kitchen,but is a full glass conservatory, no dwarf wall.
    There is room for a small radiator to one side of the kitchen door, but the wall width is only 400mm.
    There is also an electric socket on this side.
    Would it be possible to put a radiator on this wall that is run from the one located in the kitchen.
    Are radiators made this slim, the height doesnt matter as it is the height of the conservatory, the wall on the other side of the kitchen door is narrower but has no socket.Please help, i have a very cold conservatory that i would love to use more of!!!!!

2. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

Hi,

I think you need planning permission to put a radiator in a conservatory and so an electric heater would be preferred as you can just plug it into the socket!

ultimatehandyman

3. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

UHM I think you have just confused Planning with Building Regulation.

4. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

Hi BP,

That's why I said "think", I was only going off what my friend told me as he recently fitted a conservatory.

I will correct him when I see him!

Thanks

ultimatehandyman

5. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

You may need PP for a conservatory. You might need Building Regulation approval regarding the heating/energy efficiency of the heating installation. You will need one of the heating engineers (or is that technicians) who knows about these things to give you an answer.

6. mrj

mrj New Member

The info you need is in the building regs part L. A conservatory should be thermally isolated from the main property or it becomes an extention that you would need planning permission for.

To fit a radiator you would therefor need to have it with its own temperature and time control. So items needed, programmable room stat and a zone valve for this rad.

Unless the heater is going to be on a lot it might be cheaper to put in a portable electric convector.

Martin

7. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

I built my conservatory (with dwarf wall) onto the back of my dining room then removed two walls to make one big living room/kitchen out of the three rooms.

I did not need planning permission although I did notify them of what i was doing. It cost me £27 for their approval when I was finished.

I took the radiator that was under the dining room window (now a big hole leading into the conservatory part),and moved it to the far part of the dwarf wall. This is all in plastic microbore/pushfit so was easy.

I also removed a single door with two side windows and dwarf wall below and installed french doors. Because of this I had to get a SATS test done and although this was three years ago I have still not done this.

If you want a perfect solution to heating your consevatory do as I did and buy a 12000 btu air conditioning unit which will maintain an even temp all year round.

Good luck

8. cpam23

cpam23 New Member

Thanks for all the advice i think i should buy a portable heater with a timer switch to regulate it.
    Thanks
    Pam

9. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Thanks for all the advice i think i should buy a
    portable heater with a timer switch to regulate it.
    Thanks
    Pam

Don't. Fit a Myson hi-line fan convector. Have a remote programmer/stat that give the temperature and time control.
    http://www.myson.co.uk/slimline.htm

As it heats the air, it heats the place very fast and when you switch it off, no heat into the conservatory. The heat loss of the large glass arae in the conservatory can be uncomfortable. The heater as it circulates hot air will make it comfortable as cold spots are largely eliminated. It takes up little space and looks neat.

10. *

Message was edited by: Screwfix Peter due to unsuitable content