Conservatory roof insulating DIY Job

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by James 71, Nov 11, 2017.

1. James 71

James 71 New Member

Hi Everyone
    I wonder if anyone would be able to advise me?

I want to insulate and clad my conservatory roof myself, I have looked at all these company’s that do this and I feel it’s well within my limits as a DIY person.

But my question is this.

Are there any legal/council/Bulding regulations that I should be aware of, that’s that part that I really struggle with.

If there isn’t anything stopping me I would have a very happy wife

Regards

James

2. Go ahead - fill yer boots.

There's even a thread on here on how to go about it...

3. gg1a

gg1a New Member

ive read the thread, but can you put a multi stove through the cladding and foil etc through carbonate roof

4. Yes, I guess - provided you fit an appropriate baffle plate that keeps the insulated twin-walled flue away from combustible surfaces.

5. gg1a

gg1a New Member

cheers, was thinking sealing foil around flue but would that not be dangerous ,ifso you would be jeopardising the seal
    i would put baffle plate around cladding
    the multi burner would be placed 2.5 m away from main house at window ,unless your allowed to go through dwarf wall with flue ,horizontal, then vertical outside

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Wrong thread?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

As for permissions, in some cases your conservatory may have to be 70% translucent.(70% area)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

Not seen that one in any planning rules before! My conservatory is transparent glass as opposed to translucent polycarbonate. Will I have to get the dog to smear more of the windows with his nose to make it legal?

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That'll be a 'minimum' as in allowing light, but not necessarily see-through!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. I doubt there are regs that would prevent anyone from adding insulation to their connie, but there sure ARE regs prohibiting anyone installing a solid fuel stove without it being passed by BC. Or it being done by a HETAS cove.

Some very bad cases of death could ensue.

11. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

Bad cases of death are the worst types!

12. I agre.....urgh.