Conservatory roof leak, water getting under flashing.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DEvans, Jun 14, 2020.

1. DEvans

DEvans Member

It's 'sealed' with either silicone or something that feels exactly like silicone.

[​IMG]

I've no idea if this is an acceptable way of sealing flashing to a conservatory roof, but it strikes me as being incorrect.

Could anyone let me know what is should be sealed with, or how to fix this so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks!

2. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Well the grey stuff looks like leadmate which is an acceptable way seal lead, unfortunately from your photo can’t actually see what the problem is, maybe a wider angle ?

3. DEvans

DEvans Member

Just googled lead mate and that stuff looks like its an opaque grey - this stuff has that translucent white look of regular silicone to my eye. Here are a couple more pics:

Here is a wider angle - the ridge is level/horizontal and the rain is making its way under the flashing toward the house.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic where you can see moss has grown under the flashing and you can see the proper colour of the sealant.

[​IMG]

4. DEvans

DEvans Member

Just reading up on Lead Mate and it makes no mention of PVC, but nor can I find any source online that say how to properly seal lead to PVC o_O

5. DEvans

DEvans Member

I can find some PVC sealants, I'm thinking maybe the seal on the PVC is more important, as this will be the main ingress point for the water?

6. DEvans

DEvans Member

7. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Now I see, the leadmate I was referring to is right at the bottom of the first photo and I can see from the second is sealing the lead to the wall. Guessing the reason you cannot find how to seal lead to pvc is because you shouldn’t lol, flashing are fixed to the wall not the roof. The detail around the ridge piece looks to be a little problematic relying on sealant to overcome poor lead work

8. DEvans

DEvans Member

I see... so to a competent (can more or less follow a good youtube tut) DIYer, what is the best solution? I'm guessing my above solution would be ok for a few years... I do hate the thought of leaving problems to the next homeowner if we move out though!

9. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Take off the silly little pieces of lead at the ridge, clean it up and see what is actually happening there, I think those bits of lead are doing more harm than good

10. DEvans

DEvans Member

Those little pieces are sealed into the rendering/brickwork - so it would mean removing from there. Happy to do it if necessary, but would like to have the pieces in place to repair it in case it rains in the interim.

11. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Lol worse case after cleaning up , stick it all back

12. DEvans

DEvans Member

How 'should' the conservatory be sealed to the existing brickwork?

13. DEvans

DEvans Member

I reckon I can probably bend all that lead work back without breaking the seal to the house actually, so can investigate without removing everything. I'll buy the products I listed above and some sealant for the lead-to-brickwork as well, worst case is as you say I seal it all back up and leave it another few years!

14. DEvans

DEvans Member

Just found some Everbuild 825 recommended on the forum, mentions the trinity I've got going on of lead, brick and pvc so that will do me nicely.