Consumer Unit in new Bathroom

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by syholl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. syholl

syholl New Member

Was asked about a job today that i will probably end up having to sort out.
    Basically, the customer is planning on converting an existing downstairs room into a bathroom. Problem is that the existing consumer unit is in this room. So what do the regs allow. I haven't seen the job yet, so is it just the usual zones that apply. Can i build a cupboard around it of some sort, or possible even build a stud wall to create an airing cupboard of sorts....???
    I told them i would probably have to move the consumer unit out of this room, but are there alternatives, as this would be quite a big job...?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you put it in some sort of locked cupboard I can't see it's gonna be a problem but I guess you hit pay dirt if you can get them to agree to move it. Ideally use a bit of common sense so it doesn't risk direct splashing, say from shower etc.

3. syholl

syholl New Member

Not sure i would be happy putting a lock on a cupboard with the consumer unit inside. Not ideal for emergency isolation....
    Mind you, the same could apply if somebody was in the bathroom taking a dump, and they had the door locked....!!!

4. 999

999 New Member

Bloody hell whatever next

mines a large one.

P

5. Accaman

Accaman New Member

Ferk me Colons outta hibernation!!!

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

As long as said Consumer Unit is in a suitably IP rated (if needed) 'enclosure' that can only be opened with the use of a 'Mr Silly' etc then it will comply.

Snot difficult really if U can read!

7. syholl

syholl New Member

I'll probably be asked to go and have a look at it this week. Should be interesting....!!!