Consumer Unit Layout - Information only

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mackie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Mr A greig

Mr A greig Member

This is actually done when installing a smart meter. Hopefully we see a big reduction in cu fires as a consequence of smart meter roll out. My folks had an old wire fuse box and I had said for ages they should upgrade. When the smart meter man came and agreed with me they decided to spend the 60 quid on a new unit.

2. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

I'm not a lover of smart meters. I think it could give the energy supplier the opportunity to charge different unit prices during the day. This I think is just an opportunity to rip us off.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If Smart Meters were integrated into Smart Homes and Devices then I could see benefits. Power for lights and fridge freezers for example would always be at a standard tariff, water heating, premium prices from 6:00 to 9:00 AM and evenings. Washing machines - run overnight OR when the supply companies decide there is an over supply (for the following hour or two) and machines on stand-by are then remotely started and charged at a low rate ...

That would be SMART!

If they have the ability to just change tariffs at will, then you may start a wash cycle at a very low tariff, however, 5 minutes in it could change to an ultra-premium and cost you 5 times more.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You cannot be serious!
    1. The responsibility of the meter reader (and his employer - the people to who you pay the bill) ends at the output terminals of the meter. Everyting else is your problem to sort, solve, test and maintain.

2. Most meter readers have no electrical training whatsoever. All they are trained to do is to have the ability to find an address and read some digits into a hand-held recorder.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That is the situation now, however years back they had a very basic training and were taught to look for missing/tampered seals, potential taps to supply and other minor issues. They would then report them back and the local board would send someone out to investigate further.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes. In the good old days county councils used to retain road works overseers. they would review if the reinstatement of road works done by utilities etc was up to scratch. Also check the ongoing condition of the roads, if the repair failed then the utility was required to make it good.

Unhappily this no longer happens, so we have potholes to cycle into.