Consumer Unit relocation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MrM, Aug 21, 2019.

1. MrM

MrM Member

Afternoon gents.

Generally speaking, I want to convert part of my understairs into a small bathroom. Currently it houses my consumer unit in one side. It's an old unit that is running on MCBs (no RCBOS).

I'm wanting to relocate the unit to further over to the far right and under the stairs.

This would create room for a partion to create a bathroom, and still maintain some understairs space for the unit and access to it.

Questions are:

Does the unit have to be a certain distance away from those zones? As this would make the movement pretty much impossible if they do.

And as the cabled would need to be extended and embeddeded in the wall, is this allowed considering the room will have a toilet and sink in it.

Dont really want to waste money getting a spark out just to tell me no!

I've attached a fairy poorly drawn representation of current set up, and you'll see the open ended bit is where the CU is and that is open, an to the right is a door and then partioned under stairs section that is closed off. I would like to move the unit into there to allow the creation of a bathroom if possible.

Attached Files:

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

are you planning on putting a shower in there.

3. MrM

MrM Member

Not at all, just a small basin, and a toilet.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Not a problem then. A room like that is not a “special location” so there are no zones to consider.

It is a room like any other, you can put what you want in there, including a power socket or two.

5. MrM

MrM Member

Absolutely superb news.

Thank you ever so much, that's really good news.

6. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

No zones but has to be installed suitable to the environment. For example not likely to be splashed whilst using the sink etc.

7. MrDC

MrDC Active Member

I'd fire the architect though, those blueprints have highlighted some serious flaws in the buildings structural footprint... haha :D