Consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hondabird, Feb 1, 2004.

1. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Can you take a feed from a spare 32a (non rcd side)mcb on main CU to supply a garage CU 40a 30ma rcd.What cacle should you use.

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Can you take a feed from a spare 32a (non rcd
    side)mcb on main CU to supply a garage CU 40a 30ma
    rcd.What cacle should you use.

Could do with a little more info here,you may also want to try the search option,this subject is always coming up.

All according what you are proposing to put out there,lights,sockets etc.

me personally I would try to put the largest size cable,(6/10mm SWA would be ideal to handle almost any sort of load for a domestic garage if its gonna be underground i suspect it might be?) as at a later date an up-grade may pop-up

But its down to how far away is the garage,whats the design current,whats your earthing arrangements?,its not as straightforward as it might sound,post us more details and we might be able to help.

SIFI

3. fusefinder

fusefinder New Member

Can you take a feed from a spare 32a (non rcd
    side)mcb on main CU to supply a garage CU 40a 30ma
    rcd.What cacle should you use.

yes yes and thrice yes (third post!)
    FROM THE O.S.G. page forty-bleedin-well-five -
    cb/ or RCBO Type 1 & B
    6mm T/E pvc.
    max length 39m
    Ze to be <= 0.8 ohms for TN-S or <=0.35 ohm for TN-C-S
    Cable installation method 1, 3 or 6 (see BS7671 for definitions :))

4. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Thanks for reply Sifi
    The garage is attached to house with the main CU on the opposite side so only have to go thru brick into garage.
    Intentions are to run a light and double socket for power tools. No outside work required. Hope this gives you more info
    Thanks

5. Damocles

Damocles New Member

If the garage is part of the house can't you just add a light connected to the downstairs lighting circuit, and a socket from the ring, or maybe a separate new socket mcb on the rcd side?

6. hondabird

hondabird New Member

I dont have any spare on the rcd side which is why I would like to fit a garage cu so that it is protected.

7. Damocles

Damocles New Member

how much power do you really need in the garage? cant it be added to an existing ring?

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Shame you cant run piece of 2.5 thru the wall to socket then put lights on 5A FCU to control lights.

Might be able to reduce rating of breaker at the board to a 16A if all its going to be is a socket and a light