Controlling Gas & Underfloor Heating Together In One Mobile App

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by reado50, Jan 31, 2020.

1. reado50

reado50 Member

Hi have in my home gas central heating, but in the hallway and kitchen underfloor electrical heating.I want to be able to control both with a single phone application like you would NEST or HIVE, is there anything out there that would do this for both type of heating?

Many thanks
    Paul

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Yes :)

Its possible to integrate it all but basic cost (installed) around £2k .

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

It depends on how ‘tech’ and electrical you are. You could buy the controllers and thermostats for about £100. Then using IFTTT control the outputs based on various inputs, including thermostats, weather etc.
    You would be no where close to the £2k suggested

however, you would need a stable internet connection 24:7

4. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Heatmiser are probably your best bet. They allow you to control underfloor, plus you can use the same type of thermostat to control a rad circuit (and water if you want).

Keeps it all in one neat ecosystem.

5. reado50

reado50 Member

Thanks all for your suggestions I will look into them, I'm reasonably techinal with electrics and being a software developer know about IFTTT and will also look into heatmiser as well.

Thanks again I'll keep you posted. This is a very helpful forum

6. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I've done it a few times but the controls are 1450 plus vat. Obviously you have to get them fitted and if you want the app it's an add-on which costs another 450 plus a subscription

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Use any heating system support ITTT plus a smart plug or wifi fuse connection unit, dictated by the load.

8. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Nest mini puts all it controls on one app, don't like Nest mini for voice control it reminds me of Stan in the Santander add, but the phone app does bring it together, same with Energenie app it also shows the Nest as well as Energenie stuff, so yes you could control relay, sockets, lights, nest, etc all from one app.

The problem is not controlling them, but reliably controlling them. Not joking when I say "hey google switch off radio 4" and it replies "switching off 5 switches" and turns off lights, so say "hay google turn lights back on" and it replies "I don't know how to do that yet." so have to pick up tablet, phone or remote to turn lights back on.

I would suggest you use separate apps, then you know it has worked.

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Seems as if the system you want will cost, and have a long payback period. Perhaps it would be better to change your aspirations and choose a system that you know you can afford, ie on payback time, is easily available, reliable and has product support.

10. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

MGW likes this.