Controlling moss on new roof

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Chriz1, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

Last year I replaced all the tiles on my roof, and noticed some moss already started to form. I know I can use an algacide but I'd rather control it longer term.
    Would copper strips across the roof do as there meant to killing off the moss when rain runs across the strips?

If so what ones should I look to get?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Wet and forget is a product I've been thinking of using.
    You spray on is only way I know to control.

3. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

Looking at a longer term solution rather than up and down roof a few times a year

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Just Google copper strip roof moss or similar and you’ll find loads of roofing suppliers selling the copper strip that you need.

5. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

In my experience a copper strip or wire is a total waste of time. You need a massive surface area of copper to obtain sufficient ions carried in the rainwater to act as a mosskiller, unless you live next door to a factory belting out sufficient sulphur dioxide to create acid rain, which might have been the case before environmental awareness.

6. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

OK thanks

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have copper flashing around my chimney, and there is a stripe of naked tiles (no moss, no lichen, and no algae) in a vertical stripe all the way down the roof below the chimney. Everywhere else the tiles are covered in growth.
    In fact, my problem is the opposite of the OP's in that I love the look of the growth on the tiles and would gladly coat my copper flashing with something to prevent its action on the growth.

8. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

That's intresting

9. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Roger - coppr flashimg would prob provide sufficient surface area, wheras in my experience trying a copper wire doesn't make any difference whatsover. Wonder what the breakeven calculation is.

10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

The copper strip for this purpose is normally 50mm wide. It’s not a wire as such.

11. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

Any ideas what sort of roof surface area this would treat?

12. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Chriz1 likes this.