Conversion of loft into first floor or extension?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by s.bury, Oct 21, 2013.

1. s.bury

s.bury Member

Hi,
    A problem you might be able to help with! I have 1960's 4 bed bungalow, double brick, cavity but the tiles and felt are shot. I want to create more living space so I am considering changing roof trusses to raising walls and attic trusses, new roof tiles etc. Sacrifice a bedroom downstairs for new staircase.

Local builder said - might need underpinning (£50K?) and tent scaffold (£6-10K) before we begin...that's half my budget gone before we lay a brick!
    My architect said - not sure on founds - need to dig a trench? Then a timber framed top/ roof , about 100-120K.
    So for £170K...way more than I thought....would it be cheaper to simply have a new build extension at around £1K per m2 (I understand that is the usual 'shell'/ first fix price range?).

I live in Teesside btw. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Steven

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

doesn't need thinking abut - if you can get PP and you have enough land, re-tile your roof and build an extension - outwards not upwards