Converting a Van into a Motorhome.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by glob@l, Feb 13, 2019.

1. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Has anyone ever fancied owning a motorhome and ended up converting a van instead?
    Motorhomes seem to hold their value so presumably converting a van would be cheaper than buying a ready made motorhome?
    Some considerations would includes van type, fuel consumption, interior height and available space, layout etc

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What did you put on your floor in the end under the vinyl?

3. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Not sure what to do with that yet!

4. Have a think about buying a used Ambulance,they have a lot of the kit already installed that needs putting in when converting a van.

5. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Fantastic hobby, very rewarding. I've done two myself both began as VW T4 transporters. Now that I have kids my next would be a Mercedes sprinter or crafter conversion.

Sparkielev likes this.
  6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Done my T5 planning on giving proper run out this summer

Squashrobinson likes this.
  7. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Good point about the ambulance.
    The T4/T5's are sought after motors and can be expensive to buy, even second hand.
    So, did the conversions cost a lot and did they turn out as planned?

8. Sparkielev

Got mine done by a company in York I didn't have the time to do it myself, went for pop up up roof swivel seats crash tested bed, sink, oven, refrigerator reupholstered seats, some pics on the car forum on this site, cost £12000 but worth it as it's a quality job

9. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Surely that cost didn't include the T5. Depending on the condition etc , you could pay the same again for the motor.

10. Sparkielev

Bought the van from new used it for work then had it converted it 2013 model

11. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Aw well just the cost of the conversion then really.

12. Sparkielev

Yeah but reckon I won't lose any money if I decide to sell, it still very low miles on it, just bought an awning with a wood stove roll on the summer

Squashrobinson likes this.