Converting garden lamp posts to LV lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Excalibur, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur New Member

I have several garden lamp posts in my garden running on mains with a trip fitted. The wiring was done in plastic conduit buried under the concrete path. It all works ok but I would prefer it to be LV for safety reasons. Do they do a LV, BC or ES bulb and any foreseeable problems as the cable is mains 5 core and earth to feed all the lamps.

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

It wont make em any safer having lv because you will still have 240 v at the fitting and will have to be stepped down by a transformer in the post, i have never seen a low voltage lightbuld that would be sutable, but i do know that anti shatter glass ones do exist

BR

3. Excalibur

Excalibur New Member

Sorry I may have not been clear enough. I wish to convert them to LV before the supply leaves the switches in the house by fitting LV transformers for each lamp post. My main concern being the cables are carry mains voltage and I believe LV would be safer.

4. chtechie

chtechie Member

RS stock 25,50V GLS lamps in BC & ES but it's the volt drop in your cabling that you need to be worried about when you go ELV. Why not install an RCD on the external lighting circuit Part No 14770, an RCD fused spur is ideal.

5. supersparky

supersparky New Member

can i just throw the spanner in the works here? The volt drop over distance would be massive, you might end up using 10mm2 cable for a long run, which in turn will probrably kill the ******
    eg.
    100w divided by 240 is 0.625 amps of loading
    100w divided by 12 is 8.3 amps, see my point?

BR

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

can i just throw the spanner in the works here? The volt drop over distance would be massive, you might end up using 10mm2 cable for a long run, which in turn will probrably kill the ******
    eg.
    100w divided by 240 is 0.625 amps of loading
    100w divided by 12 is 8.3 amps, see my point?
    BTW (THE ABOVE CALUCULATIONS ARE NOTHING TO DO WITH VOLT DROP, that would be an extra on top of the above)

BR

7. chtechie

chtechie Member

So as I said it's the RCD then

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

YEA much easyer, if you rely wnat protection put a 10ma rcd on it.....i presume you hav this off the lighting circuit at the mo?

9. Excalibur

Excalibur New Member

The circuit is on a seperate feed with a 6amp RCB but where can I get a 10ma rcb from, Screwfix don't list one. Thanks for the help.

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

11. supersparky

supersparky New Member