Converting meter cupboard to cloakroom

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billythekid, Nov 17, 2021.

1. billythekid

billythekid Member

Howdy folks,

Can anyone point me in the direction of the current regs (Scotland) with the diagrams for distance from electrical gubbins to WCs/WHBs and the like?

We're thinking of converting a downstairs walk-in cupboard/pantry thing to a WC/cloakroom for the mother in law as she's starting to get a bit frail and unsteady with the trip upstairs. The cupboard currently has the meter and supply panel in it and we'd like to see if we can get away with boxing those in or if they need to be re-routed or whatever.

Cheers,

Billy

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I did some thing similar for my mother, and got my fingers rapped as we thought builder was doing everything required, but he failed to inform LABC, this was in Wales not Scotland. It seems the builder didn't think he had to tell the LABC and I thought he had, so when builder ran off I told them I was taking over the job.

So two options, one do it and say nothing, two ask the council what is required.

As long as no shower or bath there should be no problem.

3. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Think about it practically. Can you install a WC and sink in such a way that a) the electrical equipment can be protected from splashes? b) you can provide reasonable access for maintenance?

Imagine yourself working on any of the electrical equipment. You need to be able to remove any covers and screws etc, space for tools etc. I changed a CU yesterday and the massive DNO guy who pulled the cut out would have struggled in a reasonably sized bathroom, let alone a toilet.

You need answer these questions before seeking out any regs. Also get an EICR done first. Last thing you want is a finished nice new cloakroom only to be told it needs ripping out to replace a CU or fix a dodgy service head.

Do you really want to be left with a spark sucking their teeth wondering how to access the equipment whilst dear old MiL shivers in the cold and dark after a power cut?