Cooker cable route

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mark broadbent, Apr 15, 2018.

  1. mark broadbent

    mark broadbent New Member

    Hi, we are currently refurbing our kitchen and have found that to get the best oven ( warranty/power/ price) it will need to be hard wired. We also need to replace the fuse box in the cellar so it’s a prime opportunity to run a cooker cable to the kitchen. I am considering routing this myself to save paying somone to pull up floorboards which I’m perfectly capable of doing, then getting an electrician to do the new consumer unit and connect the cooker. What considerations are there for routing a cooker cable? Will it get warm? Should I avoid insulation in the kitchen loft? Is routing it myself and having the ends connected professionally safe and legal?
  2. robertpstubbs

    robertpstubbs Active Member

    Routing conduit yourself and letting the spark pull cable through might be an option.
  3. sparky Si-Fi

    sparky Si-Fi Well-Known Member

    You have asked all the questions an electrician can do so I doubt your competence to route a piece of twin and skin, plus ALL this installation work is notifiable to Building control

    Also as a business, we don't start jobs half way through

    We have the skills, and are registered to undertake everything on this job and with your Fuse Board upgrade encompass this in the cooker supply upgrade, let the bloke do his job and stop doing it for him.

    I see Part P is getting the message out there to homeowners even after nearly 15 yrs
    seneca likes this.
  4. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    I too would never power up a new circuit if it was already installed and sign it off as a new install, you just don't know how the cable has been run, for all you know it might be trapped between floorboards and central heating pipes, just like the lighting cables I came across the other day - worn through to the copper with people walking on top of it over the years.

    Not only that, I doubt DIYers have things like and angle drill to install cables probably so you take on the problems of not only the electrical safety side of things but also butchered joists and stuff.
  5. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    There are specific routes that cables can go to comply with BS7671. This is a new circuit which will need notifying to the local authority. As part of the process, the electrician certifies that the circuit has been DESIGNED, INSTALLED and TESTED in accordance with BS7671.
    The Circuit design will take into account certain environmental characteristics, such as running cables through your roof insulation. The cable size may need to be DOUBLE the normal size if that is the case.
    As Sparky Si-fi indicates, do you expect the electrician sign and lie on the paperwork, and trust that YOU know the requirements of the Wiring Regulations?

    You possible route may be for you to engage an electrician first and have him tell you where you can chase out the walls etc, and where to run the cable. He/she may then be prepared to do the testing and notification.
  6. mark broadbent

    mark broadbent New Member

    Thanks for the advice, I see your points with regards signing off something he hasn’t done. I was merely thinking of being helpful and cutting down his workload. Maybe I will seek his advice beforehand with regards chasing walls for him, taking up carpet etc before he comes. I come from an electronics background so understand about pinched wires under floorboards etc but also fully understand that I’m not qualified for this work.
    sparky Si-Fi and Bazza like this.
  7. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    Its not that someone has to be qualified to run a piece of cable through some joists and I'm not saying all sparks are a super intelligent species because we have managed to chop a bit of plaster out from top to bottom, its more along the lines of some people do some of the most stupid and unbelievable things that we would rather do things ourselves and then we know its right.

Share This Page