Cooker in Island centre of room

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mrppp, Mar 23, 2017.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

If I wanted a cooker in an island central to room would laying round conduit be the way to allow it under screed.
    The floor will be concrete slab, 100mm insulation finished off with a 50mm anhydrite screed. Thinking ahead at the moment as floor will also have wet UFH

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I've just used this http://www.manthorpe.co.uk/Building/Products/Through-Wall-Underfloor-Vents/Pipe-Cabling-Ducting.html I made up the plywood capping and screwed to the plastic duct before it was set in the slab. The capping then just unscrews for easy access. Once services are in, just lay the floor covering over the top. Easy. The only issue was my builder said the ducts tended to float up as he tamped the concrete, so he had to weigh them down and/or jam them in with timber from the ceilings.

EDIT - just spotted the wet UFH. you'd probably have to work around the duct, but don't see why it couldn't be worked in. /EDIT

mrppp likes this.
  3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Thanks so they come in 50mm depth just right for 50mm screed using GW510 or GW550. I guess if i plan it out first I can just go round it with UFH pipe like you say. Can also pin it to celotex hold it down

4. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Yes but ensure that the conduit extends by a few inches above the concrete at each end, protects the cable from knocks and you are able to pull a new wire through if needed, The ideal solution is as Mr Rusty has used, its perfect for your scenario and the choice I would make.

5. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Yeah I can raise it under a unit and under island no problem. Quite a neat idea really. Although might have a cold spot on floor.

Lectrician likes this.
  6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Far cheaper and easier to set normal 20mm or 25mm PVC conduit in to the floor screed. You can use a bend each end (not an elbow its too restrictive) to sweep the conduit up out of the floor with a draw wire in it to pull the cable in after the floor has been screeded. No need for ott access ducts; you don't need access for wires once they're in they can be left alone. That's how I have done this for kitchen islands. Bring the cable entry point near the back of a base unit and up in to the island at any convenient point.

seneca and KIAB like this.
  7. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I guess more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks all

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

'ditto'

9. bright_Spark

Best way is single conduit which is the standard, but if the if your having to run pipework in at the same time it makes sense to use a service duct, one thing we always do with islands is to fit a fused spur in case of power requirements at a later stage for a waste disposal unit or power block, lighting etc. Nothing worse than an island once it is finished and flooring laid for the customer to ask for any of the mentioned. Just as simple to run a 2.5 in at this stage and house a fused spur in a cupboard.

KIAB likes this.
  10. bright_Spark

Any ways I am off to work now, got a 10mm cable to joint, tape up and stuff into a wall before the customer comes home and sees it.!!

11. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Yeah I will definitely be having a 2.5mm fused spur run in at same time and a gas pipe so I have numerous options later on. Gas, Gas/Electric etc and a power point or two

12. bright_Spark

mrppp likes this.
  13. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

14. bright_Spark

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I put the 150mm wide manthorpe duct in as I will be using for mixed services and I figured you can't have too much space. I'll also be putting in a draw string in every one in case I want to pull e.g. data or speaker cables after the flooring is down. (mine will end mainly under kitchen units, in service spaces or under carpet)

16. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Yea I would use PVC tube with SWA cable terminated with suitable gland personally although it sounds overkill it is just my personal preference. Make sure your gas pipe if using copper is the yellow OF-PVC coated pipe. The PVC coating protects the copper tube from corrosion, last thing you want is a pipe gone bad under your screed.

Also don't forget to leave a pull rope in the PVC tube carrying the cable that way if you need pull any further cable through in the future you have a means of doing so.

Only other way other than PVC tube is to use steel galv conduit singles, again personal preference is to make sure you have solid armor cable protection but that is just me.