Cooker Socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by OllyUK, Mar 20, 2019.

1. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Hi all

Just a bit of advice.

A friend of mine is quite financially hard up has been awarded a new freestanding electric cooker via a charity.

Her current electric cooker has the cooker switch on the wall about 30cm above the hob. The cooker is wired into a plate lower down.

The charity that are delivering said they won’t install the cooker of the switch is on the wall behind as it doesn’t meet current regs. As the switch is not effectively being touched and only the cooker is being wired in then surely this shouldn’t be an issue. I understand that current regs would not allow a new installation for this but I thought current installations unless a change is being made do not count

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

What about it does not meet the Regs?

Kind regards

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Typical of people who don't understand the regs. No problem at all. Although it is convenient and advisable to have access to an isolating switch it's not always possible in an existing installation.

4. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Cheers for this.

I don’t know the regs but just repeated what they said so presume it was in the regs.

I also thought the regs only existed with new installations or changes to existing ones and simply wiring an oven up to existing outlet would come under it

Will need to be there I think when they deliver and install is there any reference to this that I could show them

5. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

That’s the switch just to be sure

Attached Files:

6. Bazza-spark

They can connect to that without any problem.

Kind regards

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

A cooker isolator above a cooking appliance is wholly unacceptable. It is nonsense to suggest that it is acceptable to have the switch above a hob. It isn't. It is wrong and poses a hazard.

Annabell likes this.
  8. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Hi I know it’s not practical but is it against regs could you point me in the direction where it states so. I need to know if it’s in regs or if it states anywhere that this is ok. As said I’m only trying to help a friend

9. Bazza-spark

Unless you are going to offer advice crawl back under your stone!

All your comments are derogatory.

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Unacceptable to whom? What hazard? And as the Op asks, let’s have the regs that prohibit such an arrangement.

Oh and if it is non-compliant how would it be coded on an EICR?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  11. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

@Bazza-spark is it safe for me to have toast for breakfast given my hazardous kitchen?

Attached Files:

Paul12345 likes this.
  12. Bazza-spark

@Comlec only if you have a fire blanket, dry powder and CO2 fire extinguisher to hand lol.

Kind regards

13. Bazza-spark

Please show me the risk assessment to that effect.

14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I could suggest that numerous Regulations could be relevant:

I am pleased to state that the ETCI Wiring Rules are much more explicit on this:

"555.2 Cooking appliances

"555.2.1 In domestic and similar installations, an isolating device for a cooking appliance shall not be mounted either directly above or behind the appliance."

It is horrendous practice and clearly poses a hazard to the user. Anyone who has promoted this practice should be banned from describing themselves as Electricians forever.

15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I have done a full risk assessment of this situation and find the following.

I would rather risk being banned from describing myself as an electrician forever than let a poor woman go without a cooker. But that's just me acting as a caring and compassionate human being rather than a pompous pedantic jobsworth's.

@OllyUK if your friend is within 50 miles from me I'll come round and fit it free.

Bazza-spark, Coloumb, Jord86 and 2 others like this.
  16. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No it isn't. It's proof that you are an arrogant danger to the community.

The OP was correctly advised that this is not an acceptable setup.

FULL STOP. END OF STORY.

17. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

you cant have a grant you earn to much, house unfit for habitation,homeless thoughts

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It cant be right for the cooker isolator switch to be in that position. Not arguing, but no way tbqh.

I always adhere to the recommended NIC 300mm minimum from the side of the gas/electric appliance - at a push would go to say 270mm, but have never had to do this.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  19. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

No answer to this yet I see.