Copper coil water heat sink. Wood burning stove.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dazza101, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Dazza101

Dazza101 New Member

Hello and Happy new year and all that.

This question involves two disciplines, wood burning stoves and plumbing. I have experience in installing wood burning stoves, but plumbing and associated regs and what’s available I’m not so sure on. So, taking my 6KW wood burner, with 6inch liner i am thinking about retro fitting a coil of copper pipe around liner to heat water to feed a indirect vented single coil with 3kw immersion to marry up with PV Solar array to store excess solar using a Eddie solar diverted.I’m thinking the stove coil will need pumped to maintain flow of water? Tank will be in attic, 2 meters of head.

To the next part of my puzzle. Are warm feed via ‘thermostatic valve?’ combi boilers available? I want to maintain the combi boiler setup if possible.

Many many questions and thankyou.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Boiler is designed for cold feed only. Can of worms solid fuel and hot water, you can’t control the water temperature!

3. GS63

GS63 Member

When we we having our solar water heating installed I asked about having our wood burner linked into the to the hot water system. The owner of the installation company ( who have been around for ages & have a good reputation ) said he definitely preferred not to do this because of the complexity involved.

Dazza101 likes this.