Copper Jointing Glue!!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bonedry, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

2. ukrobj

ukrobj New Member

hi Bonedry,

I've seen this "just for copper" glue, took it to the local collage (I live opposite the head of engineering dept, we put it too the test and took it to 10 bar at 70 degrees for an hour, held with no problems!

Not sure if like to use it in a customers house though!

3. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

hi Bonedry,

I've seen this "just for copper" glue, took it to the
    local collage (I live opposite the head of
    engineering dept, we put it too the test and took it
    to 10 bar at 70 degrees for an hour, held with no
    problems!

Not sure if like to use it in a customers house
    though!

I would like it pressurised and at 110C for 8 hours and see how it goes. Reports I have read say it is very good and passed for gas as well. Have you seen the price? Expensive to go a whole system. However a DIYer could justify it. It would be fine for the odd awkward joint.

4. tooltarticus

tooltarticus New Member

Have heard of it, but know nothing of it.( bonedry, your link is to a page regarding thermal stores- wtf?) Sounds very gimmicky to me. Under what conditions will it denature? what sort of longevity are you talking? Do I need to keep a clear space in the diary in 2018 because these glued joints are all going to start blowing?

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

6. ukrobj

ukrobj New Member

7. tooltarticus

tooltarticus New Member

Thanks chaps, very interesting. Don't think Solder manufacturers need break out in a cold sweat just yet though

8. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

It's been shown on QVC many times

9. graceland

graceland New Member

tried testing it at our college once, absolute c-rap. just pulled apart after it set

10. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

tried testing it at our college once, absolute c-rap.
    just pulled apart after it set

Are you sure you did it right and waited long enough. This stuff has been extensively tested in the UK ad the USA.

11. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

Thanks for your comments.
    I have heard mixed reports and as you all would probably agree the jury is out so its a no go until its tested more.
    How long before we get the calls from DIY jobs that are now blowing at the joints?

Apologies over the link mix up.

12. Jimthecob

Jimthecob New Member

Copper jointing glue...thats flux and solder isnt it?

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I saw some on sale in PTS the other day. I asked if they ever sell it, apparently not - no-one wants to ask for it and be laughed out of town. :)

14. graceland

graceland New Member

yes tested long enough, we set it and then went to lunch for an hour. just broke apart with a bit of pressure. cant remember the actual brand

15. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Thanks for your comments.
    I have heard mixed reports and as you all would
    probably agree the jury is out so its a no go until
    its tested more.

It has been <u>extensively</u> tested and been around for about 10 years. Don't take notice of one poster who no doubt screwed it up.

Testing authorities in the USA and UK can't both be wrong.

16. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

I saw some on sale in PTS the other day. I asked if
    they ever sell it, apparently not - no-one wants to
    ask for it and be laughed out of town. :)

They are the sort who fit tanks and cylinders all the time.

17. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

yes tested long enough, we set it and then went to
    lunch for an hour. just broke apart with a bit of
    pressure. cant remember the actual brand

I have never tested under lab conditions, but used it to glue a 2mm elbow and after 20 minutes it was rock hard. That was Just 4 Copper.

18. doitall

doitall New Member

We were using Loctite glue for potable stainless steel pipes in food processing plant 30 years ago.

19. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

We were using Loctite glue for potable stainless
    steel pipes in food processing plant 30 years ago.

Yep. Gluing pipes is not new. This Just 4 Copper has been around a while and well tested. I only know of one fitter who uses Just 4 Copper. He uses it for awkward joints and joints where a blowlamp would ruin decorations - as it is quite expensive. He has never had a failure. His view is that if the price came down he would use it for whole systems. He says using it on surface work makes the job look real neat. He also said the pipe has to be fully round and very clean - well a bit like any joint really.

20. doitall

doitall New Member

Very clean and de-greased ;)