copper or plastic ? new build.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by James, Oct 24, 2003.

1. James

James Guest

I have just built an extension to my house and am totally renewing the water and heating systems. Should I choose copper or plastic piping ? I am also considering a combi boiler for for the heating system, should I pick condensing or just a normal combi.Is it true that combis are never A rated and if so why not ?

2. Condensing boilers are close to 100% efficient for heating water in combis as the input temp is very low.

Main problem with plastic is that you cant get fittings to match 'old' versions as they keep changing designs, and there are so many different suppliers, whereas all copper in last 20 years is standard sizes, and will be for forseeable future.

3. jj

jj New Member

I went plastic for the following reasons..

don't burst when frozen, no scale, lower thermal diffusion, no condensation on cold pipes, no noise (water hammer), no corrosion, solder free joints (check water bylaws !) Freer flowing due to less joints.

Other benefits too, but enough to be getting on with.

4. Bob

Bob Guest

Go plastic its easier, quicker and not much price difference. I would recommend using copper however where the pipes are going to be seen as copper looks better.

5. Ken C

Ken C New Member

I'm a competent DIYer. My daughter have just moved into a 1930s house with no C/H. I installed three radiators upstairs and four downstairs in two days using plastic. None of the usual struggling that you would have with copper - bending/sodering under floorboards and between joists. Under the downstairs flooring, I was able to fit continuous runs of pipes without any joins at all. An absolute god-send, won't catch me using copper again that,s for sure!