Copper Pipes Tap Replacement

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Mrs Zipporah Pieroni, Apr 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi all,

Hoping you can help me on this one.

Our cold water on our kitchen tap has stopped working so we made the decision to change the tap.

The only issue we have is our house was an ex showhome and appears to have been plumbed in a rush.

I've had a look at loads of tutorials online to try and see if I could fix the issue myself, but it appears (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I don't have any olives under my sink unit?

Please ignore the messy photos of under my sink, and let me know if you need more.

But please can someone kindly have a look at this and tell me what they think I need to do?

Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Do you have a combi boiler ?
    You will need to isolate the hot and cold water supplies ,and probably have to cut the copper pipes to enable a new tap to be fitted.
    Do you have the new tap,pics of it would be useful, so would pic of existing tap ,may be repairable.

3. Attached Files:

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

When you say cold tap isn't working ,has it stopped giving water completely ? Its quite easy to remove the taps valve and try to repair or replace.
    Cutting the copper pipes is easy if you have the right tool ( wheel cutter ).
    And removing the tap securing nuts and fitting the new tap is a lot easier if you have box spanners.

5. Yeah, it's completely stopped giving out cold water and when it first started no matter how much you spun the tap it was just a little trickle.

I will have a look at the tap valve you mentioned so thank you, and I have none of that equipment but will happily purchase it :)

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

To access the cold taps valve....
    1. Isolate cold and hot water and drain.
    2. The chrome disc ,with blue band around, flips off if levered up.
    3. The screw below it needs removing.
    4. Lift up ,and off,the tap handle.
    5. The valve is then visible and can be removed with an adjustable spanner.

Mrs Zipporah Pieroni likes this.
  7. Thank you so much, I've just tried to get the valve out the tap but it'seally stuck and we have a big adjustable spanner

Any tips for attempting to get it out?

Thank you for all of your help so far

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Try pouring boiling water over it ( the tap body not the valve ),the heat will help with expansion.
    Turning the valve anti clockwise to loosen ,sometimes takes a fair old amount of pressure on the wrench. Tapping the wrench end with a hammer , lightly though ,if need be.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. Fantastic, thank you, I will try that tomorrow and let you know. Can I order any tap valve for a replacement?

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Tap valves vary quite a bit. The first thing to do is examine the one you take out. You may well be able to take it apart ( quite easy to do) ,clean and lubricate it and put it back together.
    Once you have it removed ,it will become clear, take a pic and post it here for further input.

Mrs Zipporah Pieroni likes this.
  11. Fantastic, thank you so much ☺️ have a lovely evening and I will speak with you tomorrow

terrymac likes this.
  12. Hi terrymac,

I don't know how I've managed this but I've fixed the tap??

I tried your method of hot water on the actual tap itself and I did some moving back and forth of the valve and it started trickling a lot heavier than usual, so I kept fiddling with it and I screwed the tap handle back on and it's worked

Thank you for all of your help and I hope you have a lovely summer when this pandemic is all over

Take care

Mrs P x

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Thanks ,and best wishes to you too.