Copper push fittings for pressure test

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DrMK, May 5, 2020.

1. DrMK

DrMK New Member

Quick bit of advice needed please folks:

About to do put in new copper pipework throughout home. Needs / finances dictate I have to do it myself and feel competent using the solder ring fixings. Clear on pipe loops etc and have the luxury of putting the pipework in to a shell (had to remove and replace all joists and studs due to woody woodworm) and will be having new boiler and rad's. Plan is to run the pipework and then book in professional to install new boiler and connect gas etc. However, order of events mean flooring will have to go down between first fix and second. There are two layers of sheet materials for soundproofing so I don't want to find a leak after!! So testing is critical here.

My question is what are the best fittings to cap of all the pipes (15mm and 22mm) for testing. Not keen on using plastic push fittings so am looking at these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/tectite-..._ph8zhdqaYhkyuKpoWQaAsdCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Am I on the right track and do they come back off easy enough?!

Thanks in advance

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No they are not de mountable. Just use compression stop ends or ballofix isolation valves .

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Use JG speedfit, top quality and easy to get off.

Careful if pressure testing using air, there is a tremendous amount of energy stored in pressurized air. Test up to 3 Bar, however this can produce a false positive result - I've had joins that pressure tested OK as the flux was holding up even under 3 bar or so, but once warm water is introduced it melts the flux and bingo you have a leak!

4. DrMK

DrMK New Member

Thanks a lot Terry and Hans.
    Will use compression fitting, wasn't sure if they would come off easily.
    Yes Hans am aware of not going too high with the air pressure and the limitations of not having water... Will get it tested with water when I bring in the plumber too! Just want to do all I can to test before putting floor down

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Compression fittings will come off, the olive is another matter :D

6. DrMK

DrMK New Member

Hans are you saying the JG fitting is the way to go?
    At this rate I may have to leave an extra inch on them all in case I have to cut off!

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I used JG fittings, easy to put on, easy to get off, they do want you want them to do as temporary fittings

8. DrMK

DrMK New Member

Thanks Hans will go with that then :)

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Just make sure, when you push the JG fittings on, they are fully home...practice on a piece of pipe first, putting them on and taking them off. They go on further than you think at first

10. DrMK

DrMK New Member

I think I'll mark the pipes before putting on so I know they are fully home. Thanks again Hans

Hans_25 likes this.
  11. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I can second Speedfit stop ends. Used them at 6 bar wet testing without issues.

Are any hire shops near you open to rent a water pressure tester?

12. DrMK

DrMK New Member

Thanks for that. Will look in to hiring one, if need be I'll look at buying one as have 4 flats to do over the next year - Mill conversion. So as long as this goes smoothly I'll do the pipework for all of them

13. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Got mine second hand on eBay.

14. DrMK

DrMK New Member

My first port of call!

15. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I too bought a pressure tester from eBay .. almost brand new and only £20 for a Rothenberger!
    I usually test with water to 6 bars and always use JG Speedfit stop ends.
    (I actually bought the pressure tester to preload underfloor central heating pipes while the screed sets. You're advised to leave the whole system at 6 bars for 28 days before connecting it to any heat and before tiling or doing any other floor finish. I've always used JG stop ends for that and never had a problem with them shooting off.)

timotay likes this.