Copper Radiator Pipes in Concrete

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Little Ern, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Little Ern

Little Ern New Member

I'm currently laying a new concrete floor in a dining room and would like to bury the piping to the radiator under the floor.

I've read some of the previously posted info on this topic but would like to ask if it's OK to use pipe insulation to protect the copper from corrosion. If not, I could build a wooden channel but this is obviously more trouble. Any other suggestions?

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

like i said in my earlyer post, i have seen the pipe laying on concrete wrapped in somekind of horsehair type insulation to mainly allow for expansion when in the screed, and the people im talking about are proffesional plumbers (i dont know wat the insulation is called but ive seen it in wickes)
    hope it helps

3. JIM BOB

JIM BOB New Member

I wouldn't recommend putting pipes in hair felt lagging this is only meant for pipes running through joists. People do use foam lagging though this makes the screed thin over top of the pipes which causes cracks in the screed, However if the building works comply with current regs then you can lay them within the depth of the insulation, it's a bit rough though! at least if you had the pipes in boxing then its peace of mind that's worth a lot isn't it.

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

ill ask the plumers i know wat the f*(k they av been doin on site then.....one of them was mine! i want things done properly :z

5. ALLACON

ALLACON New Member

peace of mind contact the water company, I understood regs, to be no pipes to be buried in screed unless in a duct,or within a pipe, with access at every junction

6. Little Ern

Little Ern New Member

Thanks for the tips everybody.
    I've decided to go for the wooden ducting method. A bit more effort but at least it removes any nagging doubts.