Copper, solder, pushfit, plastic.?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Head scratcher, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Head scratcher

Head scratcher New Member

I will be fitting a new kitchen, bathroom and possibly a couple of ensuites soon. Not the first time. But.
    I've always used end feed fittings on copper pipe, but these days you can get plastic pipe, and even pushfit copper fittings. I know the pushfits are expensive, unless time is valuable but what are the advantages besides ease of use. I want neat, reliabilty and long lasting ahead of ease of use and cost. Plus, mice are not unknown in my place. Do they eat plastic pipe?
    Help

2. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Pushfit fittings have their uses. I have used them in a couple of places. The nice thing about them is you can rotate the fitting without shutting off the water. Very handy when accompanied by a valve.
    On the down side they are ugly, large and pricey and you need to maintain the electrical bonding around them.

Plastic pipe is useful in some places - the fact it is flexible means you can run it through the rafters instead of over the top - can also mean far less removal of floorboards.

As far as reliability goes I don't think the plastic versions have been around long enough for a good judgement to be made. Personally I would stick to copper and solder for as much as is reasonably possible.

Tango

3. doitall

doitall New Member

Good advise Tango, handy in an emergency, but install never.

Saying that the tap connectors are good in places where you shouldn't have to get, like baths with the taps on the back edge.

4. Big problem I have with Speed fit type connectors is

Taps are not so secure

Full thing turns where copper soldered set up helps retain taps

5. doitall

doitall New Member

A smiggin of silicon stops them moving.

6. Gwatchmai

Gwatchmai New Member

Hmmmm, being old and useless (wife view only !)), why is it that if you fit "plastic pipe", poly, hep 2. you get a ten year guarantee, and if fitting copper you get a 25 year guarantee ?. Now i didn't sit at the front in school, hense being a bad backed, worn out hands plumber. now i believe in the white collared intellect, and it is he that gives the guarantee. check it out for yourself. An old time plumber that still believes in copper. Could well be proved to be wrong, but they are measuring me up for my coffin as we speak.

7. Plastic has its uses, but copper is best. I tend to use copper for everywhere, except for awkward connection under sinks and basin. I don't use steel braided flexi connectors I had too many dodgy ones.

I never use plastic in inaccessable areas, mice and rats seem to feast on it, especially pipes carrying HW

8. plumbbob

plumbbob New Member

ok plastic copper !!
    well iv used plastic now for the past ? 5 years and i think its realy quick .iv done compleat first fixs useinf osma gold and speed fit,speed fit is total c**p and you get lots of probs with it osma gold is the dogs .if your planing useing platic pipe and fittings to do large jobs ie first fix make sure you have a pressure testr and you test all your pipe work to 18 bar for 10 mins then let the test off slowly.allso make sure that you tail out ant ends in copper at least a mete away from boilers or any where that gonna get heat aplyd to it eg soldering on the second fix

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]