Cordless nail gun for cedar roof shingles?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Nic2358, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Nic2358

Nic2358 New Member

Hello all. I'm looking for a cordless nail gun that can be used to fit cedar shingles on a roof. It's for two fairly big jobs that a neighbour and I are teaming up to do on each other's houses (think Harrison Ford in Witness;)....) One roof is about 60sq metres and the other is about 35sq metres. We've ordered the shingles, battens, underlay etc and have scaffolding booked.

We're just not sure whether to go for hand nailing or a nail gun. My thinking is that a nail gun will be far quicker and save us lots of time - I only get so many weeks holiday a year and I'd hate to get to the end of my leave and not have finished the job. The scaffolding is booked for a minimum of 4 weeks on mine, the larger job, and we will be using a platform for his, so we could do weekends & eves on the smaller job..

The theory is we split the cost of a nail gun and sell it on afterwards so that the next person gets good use out of it and so on...

I've seen the Paslode IM45, which is supposed to be the perfect tool for this. It's a lot of money. If there's something than can still do a good job but is a bit less dear I'm all ears. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Well-Known Member

Don't know about the nail gun, but make sure you use Stainless Steel nails - I am about to replace a shingle roof which was done with standard nails which have all rusted away!

Looking for the nails - it seems that Paslode do 2.8x25 Stainless for the IM45