Cordless planer

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dick Puller, May 17, 2010.

1. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I have an extensive property portfolio and enjoy carrying out all the maintenance work myself, as an artisan time-served Plumber with extensive construction skills. I require a cordless planer for light trade use and a budget of around £100-150. Can anyone please recommend one, Bosch or Makita etc??

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

at that price your talking light to medium trade 18v ryobi 2" or trade aeg 18v from the ryobi stable

bosch 14.4v bosch 18v makita are all well above your price

big all

3. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Which one would you recommend Al. As all my cordless stuff is Makita Li-on, I'm a bit reluctant to go onto another range. But I can't see a planer in the Makita Li-on range??

Thanks for your help big chap.

4. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

[Edited by: admin]

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

googled "ryobi 18v planer "
    and got my own reveiw on uhm lol;)
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/ryobi-18v-planer-t2949.html

planer about £70 2 batteries and charger around £65

unfortunatly the aeg offers seem to be finnished so the planer is in excess of £200 now

if your trimming doors then the ryobi is great it has a fence so trimming 44mm doors is no prob but you are restricted to 50mm wide

big all

6. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Thanks again Big All, unfortunately I got banned from 'Ultimatehandshandy's' forum, however I shall google it. I take it it's the one+ kit?

Thanks also 'flyingjock' I did get the link before it was zapped.

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heres my reveiw then

"cuts exactly 50.4mm[2 inch] the fence you can fix on helps to cut close to or on the edge also allows rebates up to 12.7mm deep

the 2" cutting capacity in my opinion is nearer 48mm as its virtualy impossible to keep tight to the side as any bump nick or dunt will pull the blade a mm or 2mm off line

the plane is absolutly ideal and with a bit of practice a normal 44 mm door could be shaved without using the usefull but substantial fence

if there is one complaint its the cutting depth is set at 0.4 max the planer can easily handle this amount in softwood and i think perhaps 0.5 would have been easier for depth calculations with an added proviso that harder wood should be limited to 0.4

the machine is extremly well desighned and built
    easy to use and adjust
    with spare reversable blades and a handy "T" bar allen key to fit them

it has a handy flip down support so you can place the planer flat on the ground without dammage to the blade

the spring gaurd that pushes back to allow rebating has a strong spring and i am wondering if it may affect the squareness probably not but worth keeping an eye"

big all

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Thanks again Big All.

9. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

I have an extensive property portfolio and enjoy
    carrying out all the maintenance work myself,

Wow, Dick. You're the man. All this on top of your 80 hour week running Puller & co.!

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

bosch 14.4v does me well.gets my vote. just out of interest mate, sounding ever so pleased with yourself isnt the most endearing of personality traits, extensive property portfolio, artisan time-served and extensive construction skills etc. Incidentally chief what exactly does being an artisan time served plumber involve. Sounds a little to me like essentially a self taught plumber with no formal qualification and no apprenticeship, I may be wrong and if so let me know.

11. gordon bennett

gordon bennett New Member

I have an extensive property portfolio and enjoy
    carrying out all the maintenance work myself, as an
    artisan time-served Plumber with extensive
    construction skills.

I reckon mr KNOB PULLER has to sit in the back of his van cos i think his ferkin head is too bloody big to get into the front,not only has he captured the plumbing market in Scotland hes done the same with the property market.

I bet he doesnt answer any of the above questions.

12. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Do I detect a sense of humour bypass pervading this hallowed forum....surely not. :)

13. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Thanks Godenshowerrentboy, I looked at the Bosch 14V.

Yes, I'm very pleased with myself!! I was a * poor Gorbals kid, that started my Plumbing apprentice at 16 and left Skool with no formal qualifications(well, I was excluded for selling uppers in the playground). Fortunately, I did my apprenticeship with one of the best firms in the country & qualified as a Technical grade Plumber by the age of 20. I started my empire with £200 & a beat up Viva van, but now I can enjoy the fruits of my Labour.

I have always enjoyed doing Joiner work & it's a bit of a hobby of mine.

Thanks again.

[Edited by: admin]

14. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Really Gordon, if you have no knowledge of the subject, please keep your big gob shut!!

15. gordon bennett

gordon bennett New Member

Really Gordon, if you have no knowledge of the
    subject, please keep your big gob shut!!

DICK,

Temper temper,now theres a good chap.