Cordless Screwdriver

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lokkars Daisy, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Think I'm suffering from screwdrivers elbow.
    I am considering buying a cordless screwdriver to use regularly on consumer units ,face plate screws etc .
    Anybody using one that they can recommend ?

2. andy partington

andy partington New Member

3. scousespark

scousespark New Member

Use one of those myself. battery takes ages to run down and you can recharge when it suits you as it's li-ion.
    Also it's quite powerful for a driver.

4. andy partington

andy partington New Member

5. steve CF

steve CF New Member

6. spike

spike Guest

7. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Thanks for the tips and links

I will only be using it for light duty ,to use in place of a sparks commonly used screwdriver ,so it needs to be compact and light .

The Bosch IXO 2 3.6v £24.95 in the Axminister page link looks like what I,m needing
    Anyone tried that ?
    Maybe get two so one can be on charge

8. fooman

fooman New Member

Maybe get two so one can be on charge

how much screwing do you do on your jobs :^O

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Spike ,yes I still have a couple in my toolbox ,I used to use them all the time in the olden days :)

10. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Well I'm usually screwing apart from when I'm pulling wire.

11. spike

spike Guest

Can't beat them, no twisted wrist, no waiting for recharging always ready for action and unlikely to damage screw heads with over torque!

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

A couple of useful tips.

1) One with a handle that moves so that you have a choice of in-line or pistol grip is handy.

2) Before you buy, find somewhere to go and see one, because some switch designs are seriously flawed. I had a Bosch once, and it had a centre-biased rocker switch - press one side for forward, the other for reverse. It was too easy to get it wrong, particularly when working at awkward angles. I've also had a B&D which had two press buttons, one each side, one for forward, one for reverse. Again, easy to get the wrong one.

IMHO the only idea that makes sense is a selector switch to pick direction, and a separate trigger, or like my current one, a switch which slides to select direction (and needs a reasonably firm push to slide) and which you then press down to make it go. Once set, the direction never gets accidentally changed.

It is, I'm a tad embarrassed to admit, a B&D, model KC9036. The batteries are shagge<u></u>d now (nicads), and I'm going to try and get replacements, but if not, I'll probably buy the same again.

Of course, I don't use mine day-in, day-out - how well it would withstand those rigours I don't know, but from a design perspective it doesn't put a foot wrong. No adjustable torque though...

13. russ295

russ295 New Member

ld

i have an ixo, although not very powerful they are great for what your after, small and light enough to have in your pocket and the charge lasts a reasonable amount of time, what you have to watch is when put socket screws in, if you dont stop in time you can crack the face plate, but it only take a few shots and you know when to stop. B&Q often has them on special.

russ

14. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Thanks BAS ,green and blue ,never knew .
    I had used in the past a couple of Black and Decker (just dug one out)9019 a black tubular design with torque . A centre off switch which was pushed to left and then pressed for reverse and vice versa. They did good service and the charge lasted suprisingly long compared to drills, 3.6v only BUT would drive no 8 wood screw into timber no bother.
    Perhaps I shall just replace the batts ( no I will not buy the B&D spare part )
    I live at the North Pole so there is very little chance of trying one out beforehand ,which is part of the reason I ask for reccs

15. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

ld

i have an ixo, although not very powerful they are
    great for what your after, small and light enough to
    have in your pocket and the charge lasts a reasonable
    amount of time, what you have to watch is when put
    socket screws in, if you dont stop in time you can
    crack the face plate, but it only take a few shots
    and you know when to stop. B&Q often has them on
    special.

russ

What price at B&Q russ ?

16. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Hello again lokkers!

I have this one http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=EY6225CQ&ID=841

21 torque settings, 2 speeds, reverse action with a proper charger.

I never use it so it's yours if you want it :)

Not a wind up!! I'll send you it if you would like it. It's just using valueble room in my van.

It's been that long since I've used it I dunno what the battery is like though:(

17. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

WHAT ! free ???? must retire see Tomm

18. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Yeah free!! zilch, not a bean.It's only because I like you lokkers;)

19. russ295

russ295 New Member

What price at B&Q russ ?

of the top of my head i think it was about £21ish but they had 25%off all bosch tools that week! was B&D the following week.

they are very handy, used mine allday today, (fitted about 10 sockets and no aching wrist)

russ