Coring hole for extractor hood, problem !

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Craig1234, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Craig1234

Craig1234 New Member

I'm wanting to core hole in wall, so that this extractor can be vented externally. I've circled in red where planned hole would be.

As it's really close to window / edge of brick work am I causing future issues here?

Not sure how far from edge of wall you are supposed to core?

Any ideas? Photo attached.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not my area but can't see its a problem as in masonry.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Could you go higher, so the vent is clear of a line drawn at 45 degrees downwards from both the edge of the window and the edge of what I presume to be a steel beam on the right.

4. Craig1234

Craig1234 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I can't really go higher, as to the right is the stairs boxing off timber which therefore prevents me from using the higher extension part of the extractor cover. I'll add a photo in a minute.

If I went higher the duct would be on show.

5. Craig1234

Craig1234 New Member

See photo, if this timber boxing was two inches to right it would allow me to position duct higher...

Any other thoughts?

Attached Files:

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

It looks like the hood protrudes across the window opening? Also that chase should not be diagonal.

7. Craig1234

Craig1234 New Member

It does slightly protrude, see better photo, but due to position of hob I had no other option. We've been without extractor for 5+ years and I was getting fed up with smells/steam. Window open doesn't quite solve this.

When we had kitchen designed I recall fella saying you don't need an extractor as you have window, he was wrong. If I had put more thought into it back then I could have had the hob better positioned.

Re chase, I appreciate that in hindsight.

Attached Files:

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Iā€™d be inclined to close up the window a brick or so so the hood is completely on the wall and then there is no concern about being under the lintel bearing either as it will be supported further along too obviously.

9. Craig1234

Craig1234 New Member

Thanks for your replies Jim. I appreciate your input.

Really not wanting to close up window, as then creating added costs of bricklayer and new window (window is fairly new, plus at time it was fitted had kitchen newly plastered too).

Worst case scenario I can just forget about ducting it externally and keep extractor as recirculating function.

I just wanted to chat this through out loud, before making holes and possible problems.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

How about fitting a 5ā€ or 6ā€ through-wall extractor fan? Presumably the hob is electric, potentially it could go either lower or maybe above the lintel to be further from the risk of high temperatures.

11. Craig1234

Craig1234 New Member

Thanks Jim.

Yes, induction hob.

Had hoped this extractor which I've bought would serve all purposes.

Appreciate your time