Corner Fillet sizes

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by MattChip, Dec 30, 2008.

1. MattChip

MattChip New Member

Hi all,

setting out my base units for a Howden's kitchen (Howarth White) and the corner fillets they have provided are perhaps 70mm x 70mm which are 20-30mm too small

Memory of installing kitchens in the past tell me that they can be bought in a different size - longer on one of the angles i think, say, 70mm x 90mm

Can anyone tell me if this is the case?

Thanks in advance

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Matt it sounds to me as though you MAY have set your corner out wrong! what dimensions have you set you units at?

3. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

hi matt, if you take one L section of furniture and come away from the corner of the room with say a 1000 crn unit , that unit should be somwhere around 1125 away. then the right angle run of furniture should start at somthing like 625/630 issh from the same corner.if they supplied you with a drawing /plan this should be apparent and will work with the kit they have supplied you with. however if you find that because of the content within the layout that you still need a bigger infil then just use a bit of plinth if you have a good match. hope that helps.

4. cosworth

cosworth New Member

im assuming you mean the corner post??

why would 70mm be too small??
    im also not understanding cordless reply sorry.cos if we talking about the corner post then this should be fixed first to units then work out from the corner unit from the post.
    35mm to 40mm corner post on the face is about normal from howdens in my memory so im assuming your measurement is the rear.

5. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

howdens 1000 corner units should be 1131 from corner to end of unit! 800s are set at 1031 from corner to end of unit! makes sense now, cosworth. :)

6. cosworth

cosworth New Member

i agree with you cordless. the post sounds normal to me though. i cant see what the problem is or is it just me. 70mm post will put you withtin a few mm or near as to the measurments you stated.

7. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

i reckon hes set the corner before fitting the corner post! :(

8. MattChip

MattChip New Member

I started setting out the two 800mm units off the very centre of the farthest wall (Howdens decided 1000x1000mm across a back wall of 2145mm wouldn't work)

With both units fixed i began placing the other units perpendicular along each walls but they would only work by bringing the units off the walls by 20-30mm each - losing some of the small space to comply with the corner fillets

In the end i moved the two 800mm units left and right to suit the units against opposite walls and was left with a 60mm gap between the two 800mm units which i shall be peicing in with a plinth strip

I'm only a carpenter, not a kitchen fitter!

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Matt I wasnt knocking u mate, ive seen many "KITCHEN FITTERS" cock up a corner solution! howdens were rite because a 1000corner unit of their actually takes 1131mm from the corner of the room to the far end of the unit!
    For the next time you have to do this
    1 fix te door to the unit
    2 fix the post to the unit then position the unit and then fix into place! then add adjacent unit from post!
    Hope that helps mate!

10. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Matt, Howdens units are set as follows:
    600 wall units 300 door, 631mm off wall
    diagonal wall units, 631mm off wall
    carousel unit 300 door, 931mm off wall
    800 corner with 400 door, 1031mm off wall
    1000 corner with 500 door, 1131mm off wall
    1000 corner with 600 door, 1231mm off wall,
    These measurements were set to take the corner post supplied, so drawer front wouldnt bind on handles when drawer was opened.
    If you try to stick to these measurements, you'll find wall units & base units will fit & allign with each other correctly.
    Hope this helps

11. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Matt, Howdens units are set as follows:
    600 wall units 300 door, 631mm off wall
    diagonal wall units, 631mm off wall
    carousel unit 300 door, 931mm off wall
    800 corner with 400 door, 1031mm off wall
    1000 corner with 500 door, 1131mm off wall
    <u>1000 corner with 600 door, 1231mm off wall,</u>
    These measurements were set to take the corner post supplied, so drawer front wouldnt bind on handles when drawer was opened.
    If you try to stick to these measurements, you'll find wall units & base units will fit & allign with each other correctly.
    Hope this helps

Wise uncle, all correct ecxept the underlined, howdens are a rigid carcass so the center mullion is set they do not give a measurement for 1131 corners as this mean modifying the unit!

12. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

That you are correct, you have to hammer top rail up to break glue join, then wiggle post about to break bottom glue joint, then move over by 100mm. Done it dozens of times.

13. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Me too but its not a setout from Howdens is it!

14. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

No, but it never has been, But it's quite common to modify a carcase to suit situation as required. Best used where soil pipes are boxed in the corner, It's the easiest modifation & customers love the larger door into corner base.

15. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

It was always a case of MFI salemans magic wand, The fitter can do anything if the salesman has waved it over the paperwork.

16. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Thats why i NEVER worked for them! :)

17. russ295

russ295 New Member

for corner units i cut 2 latts about 18mm sq 600mm long.
    screw one to the mullion post and the other to the corner post. fit corner post to corner unit at 300/400/500/600mm from edge screwing through wood from inside the unit. offer up next unit and screw through units at hinge level to other bit of wood.

no messing about with blocks or brackets.

haworth oak is a framed kitchen, have you took that into consideration?

russ