Correct cable for security lights?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by screwfix@slicelink.com, Nov 23, 2012.

1. I've got an electrician in fitting a pair of PIR security lights on the back of my house - thought I'd get a pro rather than DIY so work would be correctly certificated...

I noticed this eve that the cable being used outside is Tower 3183Y 1.0mm H05VV-F in white...
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-3183y-1-5mm-3-core-round-flex-50m/88820

I'm no sparky (I'm a mechanical engineer so view electrickery as witchcraft!) and setting aside the asthetic uglyness of the white cable, I thought that PVC sheathed cable shouldn't be used permanently outdoors due to UV degradation and water ingress issues...  Any views from the wise on here?  Should he be using something like H05RN-F instead:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-3-core-reel-flexible-cable-black-1-5mm-x-50m/76797
    or something else...

Screwfix product descriptions don't mention internal / external use, so tell me if I'm over worrying - quick response appreciated as he's back tommorrow (Sat) afternoon!

thanks in advance, T.

2. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

how much of this flex is outside, is it just a short length '1m' connecting the light to a ?

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Black flex is preferable to white for outside use as it's much less affected by uv light. 

4. About 8 metres across the back and corner of the house, as both lights are being wired from same connection.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Over that distance i'd be using Hi-Tuff.   Wiska box or similar near to the lamp with a short length of black flex from box to lamp.

6. wally

wally Screwfix Select

7. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

A comercial type job I would use MICC ,, domestic then perhaps FP200

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Hi Wally,

It can be a bit tricky to decide the best way to do some of these jobs, on a fairly short run I have no issues about using round black pvc flex although I do prefer Hi-Tuff. Problem is that Hi-uff won't fit in to most of the domestic type outside lights whether Halogen floodlights or the carriage lamp type of thing so it means fitting a Wiska box or similar next to the lamp and then a short length of black flex from box to lamp.

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

16mm swa rcd 100a 3 phase gland it all off mcb and yer laughing :)

10. Unless the aero load forcing drives a 2nd torsion resonance mode - disasterous! ;)

thanks everyone else for your speedy help!

11. Dale76uk

Dale76uk Guest

Are the cables south facing??? if so then I'd recommend using some conduit for the cable.  People rattle on about UV degregation blah blah blah.

I've had outside lightings runnning on 1.0mm for 12 years (N/W facing) with no problems.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi mate

Some sparks will think about the aesthetics of what they are doing, others just do the job as cheaply as they can. I have found that black flex always looks best on brickwork. For a better job black conduit. It would be unfair to challenge your spark on this point. You should have told him that you wanted no white lex on the bricks before he started. At least flex is the better choice over grey T&E. Maybe you could ask him to change the flex to black but accept he can charge you for doing this as he's already installed white. Its all about how you handle it and how he responds. Just don't expect him to do it for nowt.

Regards

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

14. James DIY

James DIY New Member

hmm what is wrong with using some H07RN-F? That's what I've used. The stuff I brought from clas ohlson has EPDM insulation and is apprently UV resistent and outdoor rated.

15. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

16. Thanks all for your responses; it was redone yesterday with black rubber sheathed H05RR-F - asthetically better (at odds with what some of you were suggesting, my preference was to minimise against the brieckwork rather than make it a coloured feature!), and more importantly more fit for the outdoors duty.  Cheers, T.