correct tool for door jambs cutting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JINKY230, Jan 15, 2006.

1. JINKY230

JINKY230 New Member

guys was wondering which is the best tools for cutting door jambs when fitting flooring.I have looked at the following tools roberts door jamb cutter, crain undercut saw, fein multimaster.All good tools, but was wondering which one is the best investment for cutting door jambs.

any advice would be appreciated

2. chappers

chappers Member

A decent door trimmer is the tool for the job you can sort the doors too with it.

3. ­

­ New Member

I'd vote for the fein multimaster

4. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Go for the Fein. It is not the quickest way of doing it but it is very neat and tidy. Main reason though is that it is good for loads of other fiddly little tasks as well.

5. ogee

ogee New Member

iam a joiner and purchased a fein multimaster 12 months ago just for cutting door frames but i have to say its one of the most useful machines i,ve ever bought the only problem i found is that standard e cut blades dont cut steel and there is nearly always a nail going through the frame into the floor which you hit and ruin the blade the blades are about £12 each but i am too mean to buy them so i found you can resharpen them with a fine saw file and they work fine ive resharpened my existing blade 12 times however fein have now brought out bi metalic blades which cut metal and wood i bought some and they are brilliant now when i hit nails i just go straight through them no problem i would definitely recommend the multimaster

6. JINKY230

JINKY230 New Member

guys thanks for getting back to me and going with the different views it seems the fein multisaw is the one to go for

but I have seen 2 different sizes 1-180watts and 1-400watts, which this one is a fair difference in price

are they both ok for the job

7. Scrit*

Scrit* New Member

The bigger one is faster..... The smaller one does the job, though

8. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

however fein have now brought out bi metalic blades which cut metal and wood i bought some and they are brilliant

ogee where do you get these from, are they widely available? Thanks for the tip on sharpening blades I'll try that.

A.A.

9. ogee

ogee New Member

i bought the blades from axminster power tools they cost £39 for three but they last for ages i,m waiting to blunt one to see if i can sharpen that the web address for axminster is axminster.co.uk have fun

10. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Fein also do the "Supercut" similar to the 'Multimaster' but more powerful and if you are doing this professionally would be a much better long term investment

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

hi,
    we have 3 roberts door jamb cutters (oldest one about 6 years) and other than blades no probs at all. all machines are used every day!

12. mark-floorer

mark-floorer New Member

just used my new roberts jamb saw for the first time - bloody lovely - but whats the problem with the blades audio-evo ?

13. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

where do you get the roberts door jamb cutter ??

14. mark-floorer

mark-floorer New Member

15. carters

carters New Member

not specifically on the same lines but i use a dewalt dw 685 biscuit jointer/trimmer that gives me a 22 mm deep cut this is ideal for trimming door ripping ply and you have got a biscuit jointer all in one less tools to carry around

16. flooringman

flooringman New Member

I use a bosch electric tenon saw for most of the under cutting I do but would not use it for doors (although they do say it is built for this). Comes with a mitre block you clamp to a workbench and attach the saw to.
    I have also got a fine tool sorry fein tool which is excellent but not as quick as the bosch.

17. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

i didn't mean there was a problem with the blades, i meant that the only thing i have ever had to do is replace blades, not a problem.
    I use them everyday so the blades only last me 6-8 weeks, if you only use it now and again i expect they would last a year!

18. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

flooring man would you recomend the bosch tenon saw over the multimaster ?? i am doing a hall so i have lots of door architreve etc to cut

cheers chili pepper

19. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

roberts ;)

20. chappers

chappers Member

I would do as Audi says and get the right tool for the job a jamb cutter, can also trim the doors as well the multimaster is auseful tool but cutting jambs and doors is not what it is designed for.